Roast whole sheep

D

Dozer183e

I will be roasting a whole sheep for Christmas and am looking for any advice. I've built a pit from cinder blocks about 42"x30"x23"high and placed a grill on top. Was thinking of indirect heat, 250* covered until done (maybe flip once). Or maybe coals underneath and flip every 30 minutes, simulating a rotisserie ( no access to a spit ) . Was thinking of butterflying the carcass. Any thoughts?

I would butterfly and place coals in all 4 corners of pit and slow cook. If you decide to direct cook I think you have to butterfly or it will never get done in the middle.

Do you have a lid for this pit? I built one somewhat like it, actually to Cowgirls specifications, I built a fire in opposite corners and cooked a pig in the "box". I also had a built it so i could remove the block in front of the fire so I could remove to tend the fire add coals, woods, etc. without taking the lid off. I made the lid out of a 2 x 4 frame, covered the top of it with wire and then line the inside with several layers of heavy duty foil. Worked good

Pile of coals in 4 corners and covered with a sheet metal lid. Same way that I'll roast a hog on it for New Years. I was hoping to use the same technique for the sheep. But the timing will be different. How many hours at 250*? I am guessing its about 35 pounds. Any tips on butterfly - do I just crack the ribs?

Okay so the beast was slaughtered and prepped today. It is 20 pounds. I don't klnow for sure but think it is over 1 year old. I will do it as stated above, about 250*, indirect heat. About how long wil it take to cook??

This link shows what I plan to do: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQcc-1PnlZo"]How to Cook Lamb - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:

The sheep was great! Few things I would have done different: 250 was too high, would have done 200. Cooked through in less than 3 hours, thought I'd need 5 or 6. It was a little dry, but really not too bad and still tender and nice, most rouble then was trying to hold it for 2 hours because it was ready so early!
Rubbed it with minced garlic, salt, lemon pepper, and rosemary. Some of the best sheep I've had!

Back