What smoker to buy? Pellet vs Stickburner

In the "for what it's worth Dept." if you order something now, you probably won't get it until late fall. My advice, take advantage of the many offers and cook on some of these toys, get to know them and make an informed decision based on first hand experience. Then get yourself a great new Christmas present and it will be delivered in early spring to start the season out right!!

Best of luck and keep us informed!

It's hard to beat the flavor of an offset but as you know they require more tending. The WSM has a real good smoke flavor but for some reason different from a stick burner but is almost hassle free, the pellet popper doesn't have as strong a smoke flavor as most are accustom to so they usually end up using a smoke generator to strengthen the smoke flavor but are stinking easy to use and yes they do require an electrical source how ever it doesn't have to be from a wall outlet, they will run off a 300 watt power inverter or at least a Traeger will. Now you have the fuel costs to deal with. You can find wood almost anywhere for your stick burner and a lot of times it's free, now the WSM can use lump or briquettes both are easy enough to fine and usually can be found on sale at certain times of the year which means you just have to find wood chunks for flavoring which can be purchased at Lowes or Home Depot or you can cut chunks from the free sources stick burners use which leaves us the pellet popper, they will only burn the rabbit food looking pellets and they can sometimes be hard to find and are usually more expensive than charcoal or wood and if you find a cheaper distributor on line you'll more than likely have to pay a shipping cost which can make you wince a little unless you buy , oh lets say, about a ton of them then you may be able to get a brake on shipping. I like all of them, each has a place or purpose depending on my mood.

A couple of things... (color coded :-D)

While there are some guys on here you have played with smoke generators, they are in the minority. There are ways to get more smoke flavor in a pellet cooker, but a smoke generator is not common, and would be illegal in KCBS competitions since most use electricity.

Define expensive :) I can cook a typical KCBS competition on 8 lbs of pellets. 8 lbs costs me about $3. That's running the smoker for 16 hours.

You can get pellets from anyone who sells pellet smokers or grills, plus some places like Big Poppa Smokers carry them and Big Poppa offers free shipping on orders of $40 or higher.

A couple of things... (color coded :-D)

While there are some guys on here you have played with smoke generators, they are in the minority. There are ways to get more smoke flavor in a pellet cooker, but a smoke generator is not common, and would be illegal in KCBS competitions since most use electricity.

Define expensive :) I can cook a typical KCBS competition on 8 lbs of pellets. 8 lbs costs me about $3. That's running the smoker for 16 hours.

You can get pellets from anyone who sells pellet smokers or grills, plus some places like Big Poppa Smokers carry them and Big Poppa offers free shipping on orders of $40 or higher.

Thanks for the extra input, I'll check out Big Poppa for the pellets, I've been buying Traeger pellets locally and at $19.00 for #20 it seems quite expensive to me, as for the burn time I haven't really tried a true low and slow but I burned up a bag of pellets doin 4 cooks in the 350 degree range and that just didn't feel right. The lack of smoke flavor, I'm open for some ideas on how to do it, I haven't had my Traeger that long and I'm still trying to learn the better tweeks, I've read a bunch and thats what I was basing some of my answers on and my brief experience as well.

The key to generating more smoke in a pellet pooper without the use of a smoke generator such as a amazin tube smoker or smoke daddy is to smoke low and slow at about 180 for a couple hours then bump it up to your actual smoking temps which is 275 for me. Now smoke adheres to moisture so something else I usually do to enhance my smoke flavor in pellet pooper is to spray the meat with some sort of liquid every hour depending on what I'm smoking at the time determines said liquid. This effectively gives me a much moister, smokier flavor to the meat. I to was a stick burner guy for a long time and bought a pellet unit and have not looked back. Yes I am thinking about getting a larger trailer model stick Burner for that holy crap that's a sexy smoker ambiance I want for catering. But that's mainly for aesthetics and to fire it up just to "reheat" what already came off my pellet cooker hahahaha

You have had a couple pretty generous offers to get some practical experience, take advantage before you decide. Oh yea, stickburners rule?

Here's an option that will only cost you some meat... that would assist you in your thought process?

If you desire to play with a stickburner... how about a live demo learning and burning on a Lang?
Drop me a PM to arrange a time to drive down, set-up, throw some meat on a Lang... and play with some fire.

Those offers were 2.5 years ago. :doh:

That statement may be old... but my offer's still valid.
No expiration date.

Did the OP ever buy a cooker? How about an update

You have had a couple pretty generous offers to get some practical experience, take advantage before you decide. Oh yea, stickburners rule?

FWIW, the offers were made to the OP. I dredged the thread up due to a similar question. Seemed silly to start a new thread.

Sorry for the confusion.

I'd ask yourself a couple of questions:

1. Who am I cooking for?
2. How much will I be cooking?
3. Do I ever plan cooking for larger parties?

I started with a combo propane grill / small offset smoker - and within a year decided I did not have enough space and HATED how the cheap pits were a pain to manage temps on.

Then my friend graciously gave me a Pellet Cooker (Traeger Lil Texas Elite) which after a little TLC and some new electronics was up and running. I love that for family cooks I can set it and forget it - sort of. About ever 3-4 hours I have to check to make sure the pellets are feeding correctly. BUT if it’s raining or the wind is a blowing maintaining temp is rough. And again I found that if I was cooking for more than my family it was a bit rough on the size.
Another issue I found with Pellet cookers revolved around electronics. The electronic issues with my Traeger and other stories I've read about people having electrical problems with their Pellet cookers at comps or at events (not all do this especially if well maintained) turned me off and I decided I didn't want to mess with that issue or have to worry about it. Stickburn - no electronics.

I also knew, based on feedback and my BBQ addiction that I wanted to start getting in to Competition and cooking for groups of friends. So researched it and decided on an offset stick burner with insulated Firebox and 1/4". Had looked at some pellet feeders but honestly for me the way a offset cooks rules.

With a $3000 budget you have several options but again it comes down to your preferences, how much you’ll be cooking at a time, if you prefer not having to manage a fire every hour on the hour, and if you want it to be mobile. I’m sure other brethren will chime in as they have done … that is just my two cents though. Find what meets your future needs and go from there.

OP bought a Lang 84 Deluxe a couple of years ago. Great choice I might add. :clap:

/thread

My POS COS has a cooking chamber that measures 20"x~31" and though I've filled it pretty well a few times I've never wanted for more capacity. So I'm not looking for anything larger than that. The offset's I've been considering are those in the $1k - $1.8k range from the likes of Lang, Gator, Yoder & Horizon. There is a guy here in CA making a RF offset but I've yet to make it out to his shop (2.5hrs away, http://katbbqsmokers.com/ he makes a 20" RF cooker that isn't on his site priced around $1.5k) to take a look at his work nor have I found any reviews.

I don't know enough about the pellet cookers yet to identify a brand that I'm officially considering. Nor have I seen any of them in person.

Just like most of the brethren on this site, i have cooked on many smokers. I have a stick burner, eggs and a Spicewine medium. That being said, i wish i had known about Spicewine smokers years ago! I would have saved myself a considerable amounts of money! The Spicewine is hands down the the best cooker i have ever cooked on, and i will tell you why. The ease of "set it and forget it" while entertaining guests,and not having to rush outside to make sure your temp is not running away from you,or the temp dropping, as i would with a stickburner is fantastic. I guess you could call me lazy:razz:. Next, the cooking capacity is fantastic compared to my BGE's, slide out shelves are a must! Also the ability to use wood chunks instead of splits is financially feasible, i don't live where i have access to large amounts of smoking wood. Last, but not least, is the rock solid construction and awesome insulation and heat retention of the Spicewine! Just my .02 cents:thumb:. By virtue of the money you are investing, you will get a great cooker, then you will learn to use it like a champ :thumb:

Cook for a couple days non-stop literally without adding fuel or worrying about the temperature you're cooking at.

http://www.cookshack.com/store/Smokers_4/Fast-Eddys-by-Cookshack-Model-FEC100

I bought mine used from a fellow Brethren and regular competitor for well under $3,000 that he had left in pristine condition. Without a doubt the best investment I've ever made for my favorite hobby except maybe for finding this site. :)

Back