Cooking with the Master: Salad, Episode V

Gore

Phizzy

Batch Image
Reaction score
Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis
What follows is the transcript of “Cooking with the Master: Salad, Episode V"

Master: Ladies, Gentlemen, Gooood Eeeeevening! And welcome to "Cooking with the Master," a show about cooking. I ... am the Master! Joined by sous chef Gore, I will demonstrate revolutionary advances in BBQ Science. The topic of this week’s show is salad, the perfect summertime fare. When the mercury creeps upward, we want something cool and refreshing to keep our temperature down. It is also a vital element in the diet of vegetarians. Many vegetarians have difficulty getting a balanced diet with sufficient protein. As a vegetarian myself and an expert in the nutritional sciences, I will demonstrate how to prepare a balanced meal from a single salad that not only is nutritious, but also is delicious. A great many vegetarians depend on beans to provide protein. Others rely on “fruits de mer,” literally the “fruit of the sea.” Fish, of course, is the most succulent fruit of the ocean. I, however, prefer neither of these items on salad and begin … with bacon.

[Sounds of shocked surprise from the audience]

I (Gore): Bacon, Master?

Master: Correct Gore, but I prefer to call it “fruits de sty,” being the most succulent fruit found in the sty.

I (Gore): Brilliant, Master [clapping and general acknowledgment from audience]

Master: Now Gore, please demonstrate the bacon weave for the audience.

IMG_0090.jpg

We place this over a metal bowl and cook this either on the grill or in the smoker to set the bacon. This will make a delicious and edible bowl in which to place our salad.

IMG_0091.jpg

For this salad, I use grilled Romaine lettuce. This is brushed with extra virgin olive oil and seared on the grill, less than a minute per side. I add cucumbers, tomatoes and some roast red pepper.

IMG_0163.jpg

Finally, I season the flank steak with Montreal spices and cook to medium rare, hot and fast.

IMG_0158.jpg

I (Gore): Vegetarian flank steak, Master?

Master: While I am a vegetarian, Gore, I refuse to put senseless restrictions on my diet. I prefer to call it “fruits de range.” Finally we top this off with syrup of Balsamic vinegar.

I (Gore): Delicious, Master!

[Audience cheers wildly]

IMG_0214-1.jpg

While the audience applauds, a mob of vegetarians rush the stage fighting each other for a taste of fruits de sty and fruits de range. Credits roll by as satisfied grunts and groans can be heard from the vegetarians on stage.

Narrator: This episode of “Cooking with the Master” was brought to you by the BBQ Brethren Throwdown sub-forum found at the top of Q-talk or at
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86
Please join us every week to enter and/or vote for your favorite entry. There are lots of great dishes described in the entry threads. The recipes and views expressed on “Cooking with the Master” do not necessarily represent those of the BBQ Brethren, Gore, Q-Talk, Scrog or Ninja Squirrel.

I (Gore): That’s a wrap!

I have been so foolish, when I was a vegetarian, I failed to see that I was putting arbitrary and senseless restrictions on my diet, I see the light now, and will start with that salad, oh lovely fruits de sty and fruits de range salad.

Thanks again for the terriffic show G.!
The syrup of Balsamic vinegar looks terrific...gotta try me that sometime!
Is it just balsamico with something sweet like sugar in it?
Thanks!

The producers were right, the commentary was much better when the Squirrel was in charge. We want Ninja Squirrel! But...no fruits de coup?:thumb::thumb:

Thanks again for the terriffic show G.!
The syrup of Balsamic vinegar looks terrific...gotta try me that sometime!
Is it just balsamico with something sweet like sugar in it?
Thanks!

Yes, essentially you can make a sugar syrup as a thickener, but it's much easier to buy the stuff. I picked this up in Spain. All the grocery stores carry at least one variety there (Lupa, Carrefour, etc.) These were from Carrefour:

IMG_5724.jpg

In the US, you can buy this at Williams Sonoma and I'm also told Harris Teeter carries it -- different brands/packaging of course.

And yes, you can buy this syrup in The Netherlands too. Albert Heijns carries it, and we've purchased it there also. Not all AHs carry it, but the bigger ones generally do.

Back