Sweet Tea

We have a Mr Coffee 3 qt Iced Tea Maker that the wife actually had BEFORE we got married 15 years ago. Fill it up with water, fill the pitcher up with ice, put 2 family sized tea bags (we use Lipton or Luzzianne decaf) in the "steep" container, put about 3/4 C sugar in the ice, then push the little button. 10 minutes later.....fresh brewed tea!

We just have to stir up the pitcher until the sugar is completely dissolved.
Good stuff!

If you like a little something, something to your tea! Try adding a little juice of your favorite flavor Cranapple, cranberry juice coctail, pineapple or peach, Then adding a complimentary flavor of rum like coconut or pineapple! It will really put the relaxed in a relaxing saturday afternoon!

I used Luzianne for the longest time and then bought a box of the Red Rose tea. I get it at Wally World for about $1.50 a box. ( and it comes with a little figurine ).

~Fill a 3 Qt pan about 3/4 full of water and bring to a boil.
~Add 13 tea bags. ( they are the small ones. ) I always twist them and tie them together so that I dont have to fish them out.
~ Steep for 15 minutes
~ Add sugar. I use about 1.75 Cups & a healthy pinch of baking soda. Stir.
~ Pour in gallon container, add cold water to fill. Give a couple shakes.

I also heard somewhere that a glass container will react with the tea differently than a plastic container.. supposed to use glass..... Im cheap and use plastic. :biggrin1:

I've made tea in multiple types of plastic as well as stainless and glass....couldn't say I could tell a different attributable to the container in any way.

I drink it every day. Sometimes I use baking soda and sometimes I don't.

I drink a ton of it, so I use luzianne or lipton family sized tea bags and I use 1/2 regular and 1/2 decaf or some variation of that (I drink so much of it that I really try to limit all that caffeine).

If you do add sugar, do it while the water is hot. I prefer to use equal sweetener (some use splenda or sweet n low). I fill a one liter cup (32 oz) with ice to the brim, then add 4-6 equal packets depending on how sweet I want it.

Sometimes instead of sweetener I just add lemon or lime (lemons are $$), but never sweetener and lemon or lime.

Last edited:
Go into a restaurant in the South. If they don't have sweet tea, they are probably a chain. We've been using Luzzianne as long as I can remember.

One good thing we do is thin slice orange into it instead of lemons. Peel and all. Gives it a Great flavor.

Go into a restaurant in the South. If they don't have sweet tea, they are probably a chain.

Except in New Orleans!!! Don't know why, but as geographically south as New Orleans is, for some reason there are many restaurants that only make unsweet. In fact, I would say that more often than not, I am told only unsweet in N.O. restaurants. Crazy as it sounds, I have actually come across non sweet tea drinkers, that don't even like the fact that its on the menu.

Tea is like cornbread. I don't put sugar in it either...

Agreed.... I will have a small bit of sweet tea when in the south, but prefer unsweetened brewed with a bit of salt and maybe some fresh mint... Much more refreshing...

Sweet tea leaves me feeling thirsty...

Agreed.... I will have a small bit of sweet tea when in the south, but prefer unsweetened brewed with a bit of salt and maybe some fresh mint... Much more refreshing...

Sweet tea leaves me feeling thirsty...

Y'all ain't from around here, are ya? :rolleyes:

Except in New Orleans!!! Don't know why, but as geographically south as New Orleans is, for some reason there are many restaurants that only make unsweet. In fact, I would say that more often than not, I am told only unsweet in N.O. restaurants. Crazy as it sounds, I have actually come across non sweet tea drinkers, that don't even like the fact that its on the menu.

That's why I don't go to the big city :crazy:

Back