Brisket and your Rub (For the Funky Only)

English is hard enough for me to understand...

Could someone translate this thread into english please......

On edit.....

Nevermind, i just tried to re-read and noticed it was for the funky.

I guess i skipped that class! :roll:

Last edited:
I rubbed various sugars on pieces of pork once as part of a rub ingredient experiment and all the sugar (except the turbinado) was absorbed into the meat. No sealing occurred. I would imagine if high heat was applied to the sugar before it was absorbed, then it would harden and seal, but I don't think that happens in BBQ cooking. That's more like Creme Brulee stuff there.

In reply to Funk's above post...

And one thing about Paul Kirk (admirable Talent for sure).

Agreed...

If your using his rubs and techniques, and are not satisfied with the product entirely... then maybe you are wishing to exceed his brisket.... which is entirely possible. He would laugh at this for sure.

Always looking to improve...

Remember, competition briskets are made to impress the judges after having about 1 or 2 square inches (what they average to taste). You have to wow the judge often with only the pretty little shaving of flat meat you present.

Not looking to impress the judges pallets...just my wife's! :p Hers is a bit more discerning! :lol:

A plate of good brisket (point/flat/and burnt end or two) that you get from a joint satisfies on many different levels.

Agreed...

Remember... HONESTLY, you do NOT eat with your eyes first.

I do...my wife does...If I see two plates side by side with the same entree...I'm going for the better presented of the two. Same with turn in boxes for comps...if presentation is not important...why have them?

Anyonme want to challenge that statement??????????????

Yep...:twisted:

Could someone translate this thread into english please......

On edit.....

Nevermind, i just tried to re-read and noticed it was for the funky.

I guess i skipped that class! :roll:

That's all I meant. I'm not even sure what the heck funk is, but I guess it ain't me. I always figured that if a guy really wanted to promote bbq, and share a wealth of knowledge he'd make it easy to understand and not seek to obscure info or knowledge...

Despite the funk overtone of this thread, there's some damn good information in here. This is definitely roadmap material.

When you can snatch the pebble from my hand Grasshopper...

Just a quick question...how long do you wait after applying of rubs until it goes into the pit? Is rubbing best right before cooking or does the brisket benefit from the rub(salt) if allowed to rest overnight?
jonathan

Thanks for the lesson. :p

You are absolutely right. Last year, I tried going "Salt-free" because I read where it draws the moisture out of the meat. My brisket did not score as well nor taste like I wanted. :eek:

The problem being it took a whole comp season to go back........

What a bonehead.

Chris... I work hard... hard thinking of new ways to give out answers and "obscure" what I am saying for those that don't want to listen.

I want to listen and learn, but sometimes, man, I just don't get it :confused:. Especially when I am working.

I think this is the first thread where I have gotten something out of it, due to your extra explanations at the very beginning. :cool:

Or, maybe provide a funk dictionary for us to refer to :wink:. I can't remember all the names to ingrediants to meanings.

I want to listen and learn, but sometimes, man, I just don't get it :confused:. Especially when I am working.

I think this is the first thread where I have gotten something out of it, due to your extra explanations at the very beginning. :cool:

Or, maybe provide a funk dictionary for us to refer to :wink:. I can't remember all the names to ingrediants to meanings.

I asked for the same thing last year.....here it is. Oh yeah, I added the Frank Sinatra. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

The Legends

Salt George Clinton
Sugar Little Richard
Brown Sugar James Brown
Garlic (Specify Powder or Minced) Prince
Onion (Specify Powder or Minced) Rick James
Black Pepper Larry Graham
Red Pepper or Cayenne Bootsy Collins
Paprika Tina Turner
Bell Pepper Archie Bell
Sam Cooke Large Grained “Smokin Stuff”
Honey Taste of Honey
Corn Syrup (Dark only – there is no light) Jackie Wilson
Mustard (Specify Powder or Prepared) Fred Wesley
Worcestershire Sauce Sir Duke
Bacon B. B. King
Ketchup Sly Stone
Chili Powder Carlos Santana
Lemon Juice Chubby Checker
Mayonnaise Michael Jackson
Apple Cider Vinegar Aretha Franklin
Ginger Teena Marie
Butter George Benson
Peach Francine Barker
Richard Pryor Coke
Billy D. Williams Colt 45 or Equivalent
Olive oil – Jesse Johnson (NOT Frank Sinatra as suggested by by thirdeye 2-21-09)

VERBS
To Smoke Smokey Robinson
To Roast Dark Closet and Some Sam
Cooke
Time of Cook Morris Day = Hours
The Time = Minutes
To Boil Mother Popcorn
To Simmer Philup Bailey
To Chill Cold Sweat
To Sautee Flashlight
Honey Golden Color
To Blend Make it Funky
To Baste or Mop Do the Camel Walk
To Marinate Overnight Boogie Night
Spoiled or nasty as in the opposite of Funky (Good) James Taylor
To Rest Hit It and Quit
Close the High Hat Up Put on a Lid
Back off your Mics (Microphones) Lower the Heat

Last edited:

Remember... HONESTLY, you do NOT eat with your eyes first.

I do...my wife does...If I see two plates side by side with the same entree...I'm going for the better presented of the two. Same with turn in boxes for comps...if presentation is not important...why have them?

Anyonme want to challenge that statement??????????????

Yep...:twisted:

You eat with your NOSE first in BBQ, Popcorn, Bread... coffee too. I have watch deli sales plummet when one of my meats was taken off being sold off the steam table (where people can smell it when they walk in) to being prepared piecemeal by nuking it on order. Plummet! The reason the manager did it... they did it purposely to balance the penetration of my product to theirs. In other words people used to come to have a tuna sandwich then when they smelled the Q when they walked in they changed their mind. By getting rid of the smell of my product people simply ordered more of theirs.

Unless there is a poster on the wall further from the smell... you begin glorifying the dish with your nose before you even see it.

The little diddy "eat with your eyes first" was to get you sold on Garnishing... which was a plot created in the late 90's by the folks that brought you the single bullet, single gunman theory and the Garnish growers of America.

I asked for the same thing last year.....here it is. Oh yeah, I added the Frank Sinatra. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

The Legends

Salt George Clinton
Sugar Little Richard
Brown Sugar James Brown
Garlic (Specify Powder or Minced) Prince
Onion (Specify Powder or Minced) Rick James
Black Pepper Larry Graham
Red Pepper or Cayenne Bootsy Collins
Paprika Tina Turner
Bell Pepper Archie Bell
Sam Cooke Large Grained “Smokin Stuff”
Honey Taste of Honey
Corn Syrup (Dark only – there is no light) Jackie Wilson
Mustard (Specify Powder or Prepared) Fred Wesley
Worcestershire Sauce Sir Duke
Bacon B. B. King
Ketchup Sly Stone
Chili Powder Carlos Santana
Lemon Juice Chubby Checker
Mayonnaise Michael Jackson
Apple Cider Vinegar Aretha Franklin
Ginger Teena Marie
Butter George Benson
Peach Francine Barker
Richard Pryor Coke
Billy D. Williams Colt 45 or Equivalent

Olive oil – Frank Sinatra (added by thirdeye 2-21-09)

VERBS
To Smoke Smokey Robinson
To Roast Dark Closet and Some Sam
Cooke
Time of Cook Morris Day = Hours
The Time = Minutes
To Boil Mother Popcorn
To Simmer Philup Bailey
To Chill Cold Sweat
To Sautee Flashlight
Honey Golden Color
To Blend Make it Funky
To Baste or Mop Do the Camel Walk
To Marinate Overnight Boogie Night
Spoiled or nasty as in the opposite of Funky (Good) James Taylor
To Rest Hit It and Quit
Close the High Hat Up Put on a Lid
Back off your Mics (Microphones) Lower the Heat

In this video Cornbread Olive Oil was Funk Legend Jesse Johnson. Jesse Johnson Funk

Extra virgin (rocker) Jesse Johnson

Don't forget Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis (cinnamon and allspice).

Oops, I may have cleared things up too much:shock: Now everyone's gonna get funky!

You eat with your NOSE first in BBQ, Popcorn, Bread... coffee too. I have watch deli sales plummet when one of my meats was taken off being sold off the steam table (where people can smell it when they walk in) to being prepared piecemeal by nuking it on order. Plummet! The reason the manager did it... they did it purposely to balance the penetration of my product to theirs. In other words people used to come to have a tuna sandwich then when they smelled the Q when they walked in they changed their mind. By getting rid of the smell of my product people simply ordered more of theirs.

Unless there is a poster on the wall further from the smell... you begin glorifying the dish with your nose before you even see it.

The little diddy "eat with your eyes first" was to get you sold on Garnishing... which was a plot created in the late 90's by the folks that brought you the single bullet, single gunman theory and the Garnish growers of America.

:lol::lol::lol:...nice argument Funk...but not ALWAYS the case...again using the double entree analogy...I'm always gonna go home with the pretty girl that I SEE first before getting a whif of her perfume...her ugly girlfriend can fend for herself...:twisted::twisted::twisted: That ain't funk...that's life! :lol:

I need a trip to Hitsville USA after this thread.

Back