Some PBC PRON....The thread has EVOLVED!

The onion idea is interesting.

Take some onions, chop them up in large pieces and throw them in periodically, Right?

Will this work on an offset style cooker?

The onion idea is interesting.

Take some onions, chop them up in large pieces and throw them in periodically, Right?

Will this work on an offset style cooker?

I just use the ends and skin from when I peel and chop onions. You could take a whole one and quarter it too. I like to put them around the edge of the coals where they will slowly burn and smolder. I've read where mobile food trucks, vendors, around here put some in the grills, pits etc even if there isn't any meat inside, just for the smell. It's REALLY good! I can see how it would attract people. It's not so much a smoke smell, but an aromatic.

I'm definitely been buying the wrong brand of onions. I never saw fireworks when I sliced into them before.

These were very potent onions. They make your eyes water via the comp screen and cause you to see fireworks! :becky:

OK. I've cooked whole onions on the coals before, but always wrapped in foil, but now...:becky:

ALLA that looks farkin' GREAT! I'm also gonna hafta try that beef juice trick as a sauce thinner too. Man. TWO great ideas in one thread.

I'd read about the onion trick to attract people to BBQ stands, but didn't believe it. Then once on a camping trip, we'd had the smoker going for a couple days with seemingly no notice from the other folks at the campground. On the third day, I remembered the onion thing so I cut one in half and tossed it in the coals. You'd have thought we were handing out free money, people were stopping by every few minutes to see what we were cooking. The whole campground smelled incredible.
By the way, you have a beautiful dog. You may want to check with your vet before giving her any more rib bones.

I'd read about the onion trick to attract people to BBQ stands, but didn't believe it. Then once on a camping trip, we'd had the smoker going for a couple days with seemingly no notice from the other folks at the campground. On the third day, I remembered the onion thing so I cut one in half and tossed it in the coals. You'd have thought we were handing out free money, people were stopping by every few minutes to see what we were cooking. The whole campground smelled incredible.
By the way, you have a beautiful dog. You may want to check with your vet before giving her any more rib bones.

You know what I'm talking about then. You all need to try it!

Coco says thanks! Our vet, at least, is fine with letting her have the harder ones that she can't break or splinter. Chicken bones, a no no. Plus, she's teething, so it was a good way for her to ease the teething sensation. On that note, vet does recommend that you take the bone away after they are done with it. As they dry, they can splinter and cause problems. She likes carrots too.:becky:

You know what I'm talking about then. You all need to try it!

Coco says thanks! Our vet, at least, is fine with letting her have the harder ones that she can't break or splinter. Chicken bones, a no no. Plus, she's teething, so it was a good way for her to ease the teething sensation. On that note, vet does recommend that you take the bone away after they are done with it. As they dry, they can splinter and cause problems. She likes carrots too.:becky:

Cool, didn't mean to sound like a busybody, we just a Springer Spaniel get really sick when I was a kid and found out it was because of splintering bones. Glad to hear you talked to your vet about it!

PBC-BrisAwards028_zpse04d5ccd-1_zpsedd93935.jpg

Whole frya!
PBC-BrisAwards036_zps730da411.jpg

Can't believe nobody picked up on the HOLE in the fryer breast. The fireworks are hiding the PBC and the horseshoe handle!!!:laugh: The landstrip on the breast is from hitting the rod when I was pulling the bird out!

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Just an observation here. I have two dogs, and it seems like most BBQ men and women have dogs.

We don't have a dog. We have a cat and he does not deign to be photographed with our food. But our sons both have dogs and they are both welcome at our place any time.

The boys won't let us give them cooked bones due to the risk. I give them pigs ears instead. The dogs like them and it keeps the pigs ears out of McRib sandwiches. :biggrin1:

Full set up out da box! Stout, sturdy, and sharp!
PBC-BrisAwards003_zps4a221714.jpg

Brethren Baby! MADE IN USA! Nuff sed!
PBC-BrisAwards006_zps09050717.jpg

The "hooks!" BTW, I really liked the rubs. Very robust!
PBC-BrisAwards009_zps54457642.jpg

I just could NOT do lighter fluid. Minion will RAWK your PBC too! Trust me. 15 mins and it was good to go after dumping the hot coals.
PBC-BrisAwards016_zpsbba14457.jpg

Hangin meat. There IS something to it! Rebar is also coated. Cleaned up with the wipe of a rag.
PBC-BrisAwards021_zpsae3a23e4.jpg

Exhaust...........perfect. One small issue. The high temp adhesive held for a while. Once it got hot the, ends of the "tramp stamp" as we have called it, pulled up a bit. I took it off so that the adhesive tape wouldn't burn and stick. I love self tapping screws. Took care of the issue. The Brethren Stamp is flat and when you put that on a rounded surface, you have opposing forces going on! That's why the stamp is not on it.\
PBC-BrisAwards027_zps67c39e3c.jpg

Proof!
PBC-BrisAwards033_zps2cbfa365.jpg

Ribs with half arse foil job and 5 hot links......the other one made its way to the Hot Dog TD!
HoodDog001_zps110423f1.jpg

Sleep walking Cub Scout waiting for his dinner!:laugh:
HoodDog003_zpsa98b049a.jpg

Bob, when it come to the hot links did you have any issues with the juices running out from the hook puncture?

Bob, when it come to the hot links did you have any issues with the juices running out from the hook puncture?

Only when I put the link on the bun and the juices ran down my hand and arm and stained my pants!:becky: Hot links are fairly dry (these were). If I did something like a brat etc, I'd try to hang em between the links. I was experimenting. I like more char on my weiner! LOL! Next time, I'd use the grate and grill/high heat em for a bit more char.

Back