• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

bacon!

seattlepitboss

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
OK. Two pork bellies, trimmed out for bacon and pancetta. I did half of one belly using Thirdeye's recipe, the other half as pancetta, and the other pork belly I did in 3 parts but all using Charcuterie's Maple Syrup cure. All done making up the cure, rubbing, curing, soaking, pellicleizing - today was smoking day! Cold, rainy 40 degree day in Seattle. I used a mix of mesquite and cherry lump (the latter I made myself). Sure made my driveway smell good!

I pulled them off and removed the skin. Here's a shot of the just-smoked skinned pieces cooling out, enjoy: - seattlepitboss

outOfSmokerSkinnedCooling.jpg

Bacon! - (next time, please remember to capitalize the first letter in Bacon) - and it does look good!
Heck, it looks so good you can capitalize the whole word:
BACON!!!

They're some nice meaty slabs of belly. Good one!

I did some Jalapeno & Maple Syrup Bacon last time, the Jalapeno didn't really come through, but the Maple gave it a nice touch. I think I prefer a more simple brine though, at the end of the day. Making Bacon feels like you've made a deal with a witch to the keys to the universe.

curious as to how you made your own cherry lump? bacon looks great!!!

curious as to how you made your own cherry lump? bacon looks great!!!

Thank you! Actually, I had to build a fire for a church event. Brought a box of cherry wood, laid fire, lit it. Two hours later the event was over so I spread the coals all over the fireplace so they'd go out. Next week I took a bucket back and lo and behold about 3 gallons of nice ice-cube sized pieces of cherry lump, along with a couple of cups of hardwood ash. Today I just dumped the cherry lump into my charcoal basket over my lawn and gave it a shake. That got rid of the loose ash. The rest was stock-standard Minion method.

SPB

Back