is the weeping method achievable on my offset?

PaddyKC

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have readed alot of conflicting info about trying the weeping method on a backyard pit. Some say you can and other say you need a high dollar Pro-pit to make them weep. I can for sure maintain 275 or 300 or whatever need be. I can damper my pit at the end if I need too.

What the word on this?

A cooler might do just as well. You just need to keep heat in the meat.

I'd probaly let them rest at least two hours wrapped in foil.

Can someone explain to me just what is the "weep method?"

Well here's what I think. The less ribs you are cooking at a time the harder it is. On large scales it works well due to a few factors... the retainment of moisture and heat from the other ribs is one factor --- the inefficency of the actual apparatus you cook on is actually a benefit to an extent. HOWEVER - the more insulated the gear and the success goes up, the heat and moisture retainment taking the place of the mounds of meat.

On your set up follow the rules, when your ribs are about to weep, make sure you have very little unignited fuel left - this does not mean to let the fire go out but just be sure you stir the fire and make sure there is no black charcoal or wood. Then, when the ribs are fully weeping as shown in the video, damper it down... even the stacks and let it ride down in temp for a while without opening it. How long, I cannot tell you because my setup is different from yours.

Another thing, when you glance and confirm the weep is occurring, wait a few minutes before you damper because you want to be dampering from an operating temp (the one you had before you opened it) not an opening temp (which is MUCH lower).

I'm going to give it a go this weekend! Boshizzle it may make some of the more uptight brethren freakout to hear you say "wrap in foil"! Too funny

Pitmaster T knows what he is talking about on this subject, so I defer to him. but as far as "freaking out the brethren" I'm used to it. Don't even get me started on Wegmans AJ. :-D

Well here's what I think. The less ribs you are cooking at a time the harder it is. On large scales it works well due to a few factors... the retainment of moisture and heat from the other ribs is one factor --- the inefficency of the actual apparatus you cook on is actually a benefit to an extent. HOWEVER - the more insulated the gear and the success goes up, the heat and moisture retainment taking the place of the mounds of meat.

On your set up follow the rules, when your ribs are about to weep, make sure you have very little unignited fuel left - this does not mean to let the fire go out but just be sure you stir the fire and make sure there is no black charcoal or wood. Then, when the ribs are fully weeping as shown in the video, damper it down... even the stacks and let it ride down in temp for a while without opening it. How long, I cannot tell you because my setup is different from yours.

Another thing, when you glance and confirm the weep is occurring, wait a few minutes before you damper because you want to be dampering from an operating temp (the one you had before you opened it) not an opening temp (which is MUCH lower).

Thanks for all the info, do you think a pan of water in the smoke chamber by the firebox side would be beneficial?

So I tried twice this weekend and got some positives and negative results here are some pic from friday first try. They are weeping and cracking, but they weren't done. I left them on for 30 more mins. Then pulled the to wrap and rest in a cooler per Boshizzle's advice for 2 hours. After two hour the ribs were still chewy and not tender to me...

868c0dec.jpg

f7c15acc.jpg

I ended up puting two of the slabs back on for another hour, they weren't much better. I did think that the first try ribs were a little lite on meat. So on Saturday I when to get some IBP spares for Bichelmeyer. They where super meaty maybe to meat? The first try I when 275 for 3 hours uncheck (which is super hard to leave the lid untouched) but I did it. So then round two the meaty ones I put on for 4.5 hours 275 for the first three and then had a dip to 250. I could never get it back up to temp? That's another question though.. Anyway look at the pic 4.5 and not ever close? What should my next move had been?

6c462d87.jpg

Last edited:
All that stuff gives me a headach the best way to do it is to cook the damn things, we have too many methods

Back