Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

Cook meat, serve meat.

The trick is having room in your smoker and the ability to hot-hold that much meat. :wink:

I'm getting mised up for easter brunch for 700 at the country club Im the chef of. Hot holding is key.

I'm getting mised up for easter brunch for 700 at the country club Im the chef of. Hot holding is key.

I'm not a food service pro. Is there a way to rent say a bunch of Cambros with the heated doors? It seems like that would be the only way to reasonably cater for 1000 and keep all the food safe, if catering of that size isn't something you normally do. That way you could spend say 24 hours cooking all the meat and keeping it all held safely long enough. Plus then you've already got everything set up for transport and storage at the catering location, where you can keep refilling those chafing pans.

You may want to find an event planner or another caterer to help you on this deal. going from never catering to 1,000 people is a HUGE jump. Apparently they want your food, so if you partner up with an event planner and let them deal with everything besides the cooking of the food that may help. Just a thought.

I'm not a food service pro. Is there a way to rent say a bunch of Cambros with the heated doors? It seems like that would be the only way to reasonably cater for 1000 and keep all the food safe, if catering of that size isn't something you normally do. That way you could spend say 24 hours cooking all the meat and keeping it all held safely long enough. Plus then you've already got everything set up for transport and storage at the catering location, where you can keep refilling those chafing pans.

Here in chicago area there are places you can rent from. The big problem is it eats away at the profit margin.

Maybe you could rent a few pits from Nelson's! :biggrin: (regional inside joke)

Brisket and butt would only be the feasible way unless you had a bunch of cookers/holding cabinets. How many pounds does your Ol' Hickory hold.

Just got a call for catering 1000 people this summer. :shock:

Now, to figure out the logistics of that beast.

Does it make sense financially to close the restaurant for the day (for a private event) to focus on the catered event? Unless fate smiles on you and the event is on a Monday when you're already closed.

Back