Judging Bad BBQ

QansasjayhawQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Lawrence, Kansas - The Great American Outback
I thought this article on MSNBC was interesting -

http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/...ing-something-gross-makes-you-more-judgmental

I never thought about how the quality of taste affects how I feel about something. But when I think about it, it's especially true when I get a sample that is WAY too spicy - it makes me mad because then it's difficult to taste the samples that follow it.

Anyway - food for thought -

Interesting! Our judgements really do overlap.

There's an old adage in BBQ contesting, "offend nobody". It means keep your spicing enough in the middle range to please a broad variety of palates. It's good advice.

I personally love HOT stuff and am not offended when I get the rare hot item as a judge, but I'd never prepare it as a competitor -- it won't win.

Interesting article.

But, this is one study. The sample was small. Results have not been duplicated by other studies.

So, while the premise makes for entertaining thought and discussion, don't take the preliminary findings as gospel. Don't read into the study more than is there.

Thank goodness the scoring sheets do not have a place to mark moral judgments!

If I take anything from this article, it would be the importance of keeping a clean palate between samples so the taste from one does not effect the score of the next one.

Oh, one other thing. I hear bitters and think of a brandy old fashioned. Humm ...

how long til cocktail hour??

I've sat at a few judging tables where an entry had just a little (to me) spice on it but another judge was very vocal about it being "Way too hot!" Then again, I do like my spices :becky:.

Well, yeah - I like hot stuff too - but I don't go for habenero or ghost pepper hot - because if my taste buds are still reacting to extreme heat, I can't accurately taste the next sample.

The important (and interesting) thing to me about this was realizing that what I taste does affect how I feel.

I've known this about listening to music for a long time. (I'm a classically trained musician and know how music has an impact - sometimes on my whole day!)

When someone piles on WAY too much black pepper or garlic - or really, whatever - it's like there's a drummer in there playing WAY too loud! I want to hear the rest of the band, but because the drummer is overpowering the other players - never mind. I don't even want to listen to it.

But because I cannot taste anything beyond what ever is overly loud, I find myself getting frustrated or angry. Mostly it's just not fair to the other competitors.

Back