Mixer needed for homemade pizza dough - purchase help

MilitantSquatter

Reaction score
I was considering buying a mixer to attempt to make my own pizza dough following the process on Varasano's website. I get dough from the local italian market at $1.50/ea but I think the quality is not ideal for the type of authentic, traditional pizza I want as far as stretching to get a really nice thin, crisp crust. The local pizza places are pricey at $4-5 each. I've never had a need for a mixer before so aside from potentially making pizza dough I don't forsee using it for much else.

I was directed to Kitchen Aid mixers and I see they range from $200-$500+. This was much more than I expected they cost so I'd only be considering the lowest priced units from KA. I see I need a dough hook (not even sure what that attachment looks like).

Will the low end KA models do the job ? Are there other brands out there that might be cheaper but still work as good ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Squatter.......................:(-

Do you intend to make a great amount of dough(business?) or for personal use?

All you really need is some mixing bowls and a strong arm.

I rarely use the mixer for dough. :shock:

Good exercise too:!::wink:

pizza dough is one of the reasons i bought my ka mixer, but i keep getting the premade dough at the market because it's easier

I'm with bbqfans...you really don't need a mixer unless you are making a lot of dough.

Attached is a great web site for learning to make pizza dough. Lots of great pictures and detailed instructions. I have found that the step that makes the biggest difference is the Autolyse and Wet Kneeding. The different flour makes a little difference, but you can make great dough with AP flour.

This guy recommends the Electrolux DLX mixer over the Kitchen Aid.

Long article, but great read!

http://www.drjunge.de/Blog/pdf-kea/perfect_pizza_reciepe_detail_060919.pdf

Once I finally got your link to open for me, found that it was the same article I was talking about. daaa.

Last edited:
I have used my Kitchen Aid and my bread machine to mix dough. I find no difference in the quality. What really made the difference is the addition of my own sourdough starter. Great flavor and makes a superb thin crust. I brush it with Olive oil and dock it, par bake for 5 mins at 550 and wonderful things happen.

I make my pizza dough in my Cuisinart food processor. I think it does a far better job and a heck of a lot faster than my KA mixer. Makes dough for two large pizzas in one batch.

In my experience, the low end KA mixers have performed better than the higer end models. I've had my $200 mixer for 9 years with no problems. In the last four years I've blown through 2 of the KA Pro 600 mixers at $400 each. Definately would not recommend the Pro model if they are still made with a plastic motor housing.

I use our Cuisinart food processor, works fine for me, bgbob likes to use his vintage '96 Kitchen Aid. I don't taste huge differences, it's all better than pizza huh.

We've had our KitchenAid for 15 years and still going strong...plus there are a lot of cool attachments you can get for it...pasta, meat grinder...etc. :p

We bought our KA in 1980 for 149.99. I have acquired almost all the attachments, I think, and it is still going strong. Best investment we ever made.

I've heard of people using a bread maker to mix dough for bread and pizza. Use the machine for the mixing and turn off and remove dough and cook.

Kitchen Aid is the way to go. Well worth the investment and you can use it for so much

We have this one, and love it... it is 600W, and larger bowl than the comparable KA. http://www.thebuzzelectronics.com/item.asp?item_id=141834&refid=1015

I will say it is VERY noisy. The motor in it is loud... but it works through just about everything. With Sears in the tank though, I think I would stick to kitchen aid or bosch, if I had to buy again. So I would know the warranty will be there...

Back