• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Best type of sausage for smoking?

Darkman

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Just wondering what your experience is with various types of sausages is.

Do some just work better than others?

I prefer ones with a bit more of a textured bite. Ones where each bite may have a slightly different taste due to certain spices being more prevalent i.e. cracked pepper, whole fennel, etc...

What are your thoughts please.

One final question I'll be cooking for about thirty people this fall and would YOU fix several different types or just one? The sausage is just part of the meat services. There also will be Butt, Ribs and Chicken thighs.

Thanks,

I might do a chicken sausage and a pork sausage, but that would be it.

I might do a chicken sausage and a pork sausage, but that would be it.

OK I'm going waaay out on the ignorant limb here. :oops:

Pork sauasge = breakfast sausage.

Chicken sausage = healthy low calorie breakfast sausage.

See I'm out on the little bitty limbs.

My perception is probably wrong and I'm sure someone will enlightened me. At least I hope so!

Is the Polish fine grained?

Boudin :clap: Good stuff. Finding a great one is hard to do here.

Johnsonville is a good sausage.

The Butt will be pulled. The Chicken thighs finished with BBQ sauce. The ribs dry and sauced. What I'm looking for is a forth dimension in taste and texture.

Why? I don't know! :wacko: :loco: :-o I have no logic!

BUT

I appreciate y'alls help!

Slovaceks or City Market Jalapeno & Cheddar, Dallas City Packing Hot Links, Opas Beef & Pork

Johnsonville?:tsk::tsk: At leas step up to Klement's or even better if you can find Usinger's:thumb: You will thank me.:becky:

Kielbasa take smoke very well and have a fine grind and firm texture. You may also consider a chorizo or andouille for something with some spice. Italian sausage will also take smoke well but you have to find GOOD Italians or it is horrible smoked :puke:

Slovaceks or City Market Jalapeno & Cheddar, Dallas City Packing Hot Links, Opas Beef & Pork

Man those all sound great but they are not available here. Now I can go buy Shrimp that are still alive and kicking but not great fresh sausage.

As a rule though which sausages are or have a coarser texture.

I know the boudin does but what else?

Johnsonville?:tsk::tsk: At leas step up to Klement's or even better if you can find Usinger's:thumb: You will thank me.:becky:

Kielbasa take smoke very well and have a fine grind and firm texture. You may also consider a chorizo or andouille for something with some spice. Italian sausage will also take smoke well but you have to find GOOD Italians or it is horrible smoked :puke:

Our Choriso is almost a fine paste. No texture at all.

Thanks for the recommendations.

OK I'm going Way out on the ignorant limb here. :oops:

Pork sausage = breakfast sausage.

This can be a breakfast or link.

Haven't had any of this one.

My perception is probably wrong and I'm sure someone will enlightened me. At least I hope so!

No clue..... :doh:

+1 on this one.

The Butt will be pulled. The Chicken thighs finished with BBQ sauce. The ribs dry and sauced. What I'm looking for is a forth dimension in taste and texture.

BUT

I like to smoke at least three different sausages when loading up the smoker. When it is gumbo are jambalaya time I like to have a lot of varying flavors through the pot.

What seems to always be a hit or conversation point is a good alligator sausage, not sure if you can find any around you are not.

Sounds like there is going to be some good food and you are defiantly not waiting until the last minute.

Good luck.......

try find a south african shop or south african butcher nearby and try some tradional boerewors

Home made sausage is the best. I prefer to make my own andouille for smoking.

I really like Conecuh. I use it for Red Beans and Rice, Gumbo and for breakfast. I don't think that is the flavor profile I'm reaching for and it is a bit skinny about one inch thick here. I want something a little more substantial.

Who can say what they serve in the Texas BBQ places? The ones I guess around mid to north Texas. They always look fat and juicy. That is what I'm looking for. Something around 1 1/2 to 2 inch in diameter. I'm guessing that they probably are a beef sausage maybe. You bite into one of those and you'll know you got the real deal and not a fat hot dog.

Johnsonville brats, italian sausage, polish sausage....fatties.

It is all great and there is no best, just different

TuscaloosaQ and darkman are right absolutely correct. Conecuh is the only sausage I buy now. Good stuff.

BUT

Polish Sausage is a broad term, the same is true with the name kielbasa which is a generic term in Polish for sausage.

The kielbasa or polish sausage we have been exposed to is fine grained and very greasy. If you have a polish deli or butcher in your area the Polish version of this is Wedzona. I prefer to make Krakowska which has large chunks of meat and not all ground through a 13mm plate.

Pork sauasge = breakfast sausage.

BUT

coleslaw

Back