Cheap Eats Ideas?

Fishiest1

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey all, I have to do some cooking this weekend for a wrestling tournament my boys are in. I am doing this for free and the club gets all the money.

Anyway, I was naturally thinking of pulled pork sammies. Then I was asked about other things. I dont mind doing ribs but I really don't think that is going to be a hit due to the price. Usually the folks at these things are looking for pretty inexpensive food..

Yall have any good suggestions of things to cook for this that would be at a good price point? I will be bringing my 2 backwoods and a 22 wsm so will have some space but not a ton. I usually just cook the competition meats but am up for anything to help out the club.

Thanks in advance!

Yep- pulled pork is my first thought too.
You could do pulled beef using chuckies.
Italian Beef sandwiches - make ahead and keep warm in the gravy - delish!

Big trays of smoked Mac-n Cheese
Elbow Macaroni & # 10 cans of soft cheddar cheese from sams. =
Lots of food real cheap Crunch up some Ritz or Goldfish crackers on top to get fancy

ain't nuthin cheap about good BBQ anymore. but,

flank and skirt steak make great tacos/fajitas/burritos.

a case of wings @ RD is surprisingly inexpensive and excellent.

brisket chili is also cost effective.

i like the fancy ritz cracker M&C myself though. :icon_blush:

good luck, and very nice of you!

as stated above pulled pork sammies "they go along way" as does the beef. mac and cheese is a gret idea. bring tortillas and cheese and make pulled pork quesodillas top with bbq sauce. the meat will even go further

Hot dogs are cheap...and lots of folks love them...how about some bacon wrapped dogs?

Perhaps some chili?

Another bump for Mac n cheese!

Bruce

Me too...pork for bbq...dogs for non-bbq.

Pork butts are as cheap as it gets. If they want something else, I'd think they need to pitch in for the expense. You're doing this for free for goodness sake.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Pulled pork is my go to feed-the-masses meat.

You can get a lot of product on one smoker, thus saving charcoal costs. Also, it is the most likely meat to turn out well and then hold successfully for a long time.

I stock up on chicken breasts when they're cheap, cut them up into strips, then marinade them for a couple hours. They'll go over big either grilled or smoked.

IMG_5754.JPG

I'd do pulled pork and throw in a couple of trays of beans - they are real cheap to make. People will also think they are getting a lot more for for their $.

Great stuff yall! Thank you!

I was thinking about some sausages as well! Leaning to PP, Sausages, Baked beans maybe I can get another parent to make some Macaroni and Cheese!

Never smoked brats or sausage though, any pointers? 160-170 in Temp?

I'm in an outdoor recreation group and when we do our monthly campouts, we usually have pulled pork from one of the guys wife and it feeds 30+ adults. If you want que, do pulled pork, and throw in one of the sides mentioned, beans or mac n cheese. I always bring a pack of dogs as a backup for those few people that "don't like bbq" :tsk:

Chicken leg quarters. Usually under $1/lb and I've found them on sale at times for $0.39/lb.

Back