BBQ Brethren "Vegetable" Throwdown

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Our new category is...

[size=+2]"Vegetables"[/size]
Colorful-vegetables-755879.jpg

Photo courtesy of crossfitoakland.com

...as chosen by Gore, the winner of the Bacon Throwdown!

You can look at this in various ways...

First, this could be your punishment for having such a small number of entries for the most wonderful of all possible categories that could ever possibly be chosen..."Bacon".

OR, maybe this is redemption for the overindulgence caused by having an entire Throwdown dedicated to Bacon, a fresh start down a healthier path basically.

OR, maybe we just want to see some amazing kick-azz ideas from the Brethren on how to make some amazing vegetables on our grills and smokers!

Here are the simple and unchanging list of rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

1) The dish must be Grilled or Smoked during the cooking process, or feature Grilled or Smoked ingredients in a prominent manner.
2) Entries must be cooked during the current throwdown period ( 12/18 - 12/27 ).
3) All pics (any number) must be submitted by Midnight Central Time on the night of 12/27.
4) Only one picture from one dish will be used for voting, so please specify which one you want used, otherwise I will choose and my decision will be final.
5) If you have any problems with any of the entries, believing them not to be qualified for any reason, please use the ***VOTE*** thread and exercise your power of voting against those entries. Any complaints posted in any Throwdown thread, or directed to me via any other means will be ignored.

The voting will begin Monday 12/28 after I submit the "Vote" thread and will run through Friday 1/1. All votes will be public.

Don't forget the Pot Pie Throwdown is still accepting entries until midnight Sunday night (12/27)!

Our next category will be decided by the winner of the Cajun/Creole Throwdown!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

I didn't realize bacon was a vegetable. Glad I now know.

Master and I are still eating the remnants of a placemat. Granted, it's the best tasting placemat we've ever eaten, but we've been eating bacon everyday for the last two week's (NTTAWWT), and I think it is time for Master to find a new medium. Master's cardiologist offered a 25% discount if we chose Vegetable Throwdown. We think of it as the BBQ Brethren Throwdown Health Plan.

Ok, I chanced into this one. Here's my entry:

IMG_1483.JPG

As you can see in the picture, there were grilled carrots, eggplant, things in foil, and more things in a basket under the carrots that you can’t see. As if that weren’t enough, zucchini went on the grill after the eggplant came off.

IMG_1484.JPG

The mysterious veggies in the grill basket were onions and peppers (a staple around here), and in the foil were some mushrooms simmering away in a mixture of butter, white wine, and hoisin sauce. The eggplant was brushed with EVOO and sprinkled with salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and crushed basil. The zucchini received a trashbag tater treatment (at least as far as being shaken with the spices in a vegetable bag goes) of EVOO, granulated garlic, salt, and pepper, and the carrots were brushed with butter, garlic salt, white wine, and fresh ground pepper.

IMG_1486.JPG

I won't bore anyone here with the details on the chicken breasts. Please use the last picture for my entry.

VEGETABLES? Fark, what a curve ball! You can always wrap veggies in bacon right?:lol:

I'm not sure whether to be confused by the eggplant or insulted...eggplant...on a grill/smoker/bbq? You know eggplant was officially created after "the fall" don't you?

Most people think of tabbouleh or hummus when they think of parsley dishes. Parsley as a vegetable normally is eaten raw and it is not as common to cook or smoke it. Once a year I (Gore) makes a very special parsley dish for Master. Since Master likes it so much, I (Gore) will share this special dish with the BBQ Brethren and perhaps you too will share it with your family. I find the secret of a perfect dish is in careful preparation. After cleaning the parsley, it is critical to trim the stems and especially any brown leaves.

IMG_4524-1.jpg

I (Gore) keeps the parsley cold to prevent unnecessary wilting of the leaves. The parsley is marinated in wine immediately after trimming the stems. This is so that the flavor of the wine can be infused into the parsley. I used a chardonnay this time. It gave the parsley a very nice flavor. Notice how the parsley is supported in the marinade. This is to prevent the stems from bruising by being crushed at the bottom of the glass and also to prevent the parsley leaves from being submerged in the wine and becoming saturated and slimy. I (Gore) sprays the parsley with a fine mist to prevent it from drying out and to keep it fresh.

IMG_4536.jpg

Next, I (Gore) cold smokes the parsley. Parsley is very thin. Usually, only 5 to 20 minutes is all that is necessary for the smoke to penetrate completely. To keep the parsley fresh, it is placed on ice during the process.

IMG_4541.jpg

I have sliced off this stem to show you the beautiful smoke ring. Unfortunately, I (Gore) was not in the laboratory, and Master does not have a microscope at home, so perhaps it is not very obvious in the photo.

IMG_4545.jpg

Finally, with the parsley fully prepped, I (Gore) finishes Master's favorite parsley dish.

IMG_4578.jpg

Master enjoys this so much, sometimes he cannot stop and even eats the garnish after he finishes the parsley! When this happens, I know that I have cooked the parsley to perfection. I am glad that you have let me share this dish with you and hope that you may share this with your family also.

lol Love your parsley dish Gore! Thanks for sharing the recipe. :biggrin:

Back