• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rookie Smoker

S

skinner

Just got a new smoker for X-Mas (early gift) and my wife is requesting a smoked Turkey breast for Christmas dinner. I have a few online recipes, but I want to ask you experts for the best ideas, Any help would be appreciated.

I did the Padio Daddio brine for Thanksgiving Turkey. Smoked for 1.5 hours with apple and pecan, then drove to the girlfriends house, and into a 375* oven for just over an hour.......perfect

Attachments

• 2012-11-22_13-02-09_85.jpg
    2012-11-22_13-02-09_85.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 218
Thanks for the suggestions, i'll let you all know how it turns out

My recommendation? Don't do it. It's a bad idea to cook something for the first time for an important event like Christmas dinner. You're trying a new recipe plus a new device that you've never used with a lot of pressure to get it right.

hit it with a good rub (sage is good) and watch the temp - cut smoker temp @160F and let her rise. Turkey needs just a brief rest, not foiled. I've had good results "stuffing" them with garlic cloves, onions and orange slices.

forget who said it, and: "poultry rub blend: It's a mix of parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme (sing it), with oregano, basil, bay leaf, black pepper, and sugar."

Strange how we find ourselves in situations like this......................
I have smoked wild turkey breasts by rubbing them down with basic turkey rub sold in the store, wrapping them with bacon, 1-2 hours in smoke(cherrywood) @225,until I get the color and smoke I want, foiled with butter until it reaches finish temp. This was on a gasser that I started out with and I really didnt know what I was doing but they came out well. I have not done any in a long time but now I would brine it, do a bacon weave, use plowboys yardbird rub and use a bit of chicken broth in the foil. Keep it simple in tne beginning and advance in complexity with time and experience.

Turkey breast is in the smoker now. Brined it and hit it with a rub. Guessing it will take about 4-1/2 to 5 hours.

Can you post apic? Love to see your smoker brother.

Looks like its already done. 3-1/2 hours @ 225 deg. Probe says internal temp at 170. Hope I didn't overcook it.

It looks like its done. 3-1/2 hours @225 deg. Probe reads 170, hope I didn't overcook it. Got it resting now. If its not quite right, I have a spiral ham for backup

Well it looks like my first foray into smoked foods was a huge success. The Turkey breast was very moist and flavorful. (sorry no pix)
Thanks to all who gave suggestions and tips.

Glad to hear it turned out well! And congrats on receiving such a wonderful present :thumb:

Back