Anthony Bourdain - A Cook's Tour - The BBQ Triangle

CarbonToe

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I don't know if this show has been aired in the US, but I've managed to catch it and have backed it up to DVD :wink:

If anyone would like a copy of it I can send you it on DVD (Region 0 - playable on your home DVD player, well I hope it's region 0) or I can use DVD Shrink and send it as an MPEG on a data DVD.

PM me your address.

A Cook's Tour
Episode: The BBQ Triangle
HOSTED BY: Anthony Bourdain

It’s as mysterious and potentially dangerous as the Bermuda triangle—Kansas City, Houston and North Carolina are locked in a BBQ battle to the death. Ask 10 different people what is good BBQ and you’re going to get 10 very different and very opinionated answers. Secret sauces, wood pits, slow smokers… there’s no end to how to prepare your ribs, “burnt ends” and brisket. In a Cook’s Tour first, Tony Bourdain wields a knife. Don’t watch if you’re afraid to get dirty.

First Tony meets up with Carolyn Wells who is the executive director of the Kansas City Barbecue Society at Oklahoma Joe’s where she gives him a quick lesson on Kansas City barbecue and opens up the whole barbecue controversy. The controversy ranges from cookers, fuel, meat, temperature, to chef. Tony decides to investigate further and goes to see the “Baron of Barbecue” Paul Kirk. So Tony takes one of Paul’s famous cooking classes and is educated in the ways of barbecue. Tony is an apt pupil and learns not only about cooking briskets and sausage, but also learns about the “Paul Kirk” pit made by his good friend Dave Klose in Texas. So Tony decides his next stop is Klose BBQ pits down in Houston Texas.

In Houston, Tony meets up with Dave Klose who has a wild obsession with turning everything he sees into a BBQ pit. Dave shows Tony around the factory and points out some of his more unique pits. They then enjoy a feast of Tiger shrimp and stuffed quail fresh off a Klose pit. But Dave wants to introduce Tony to a living legend in Houston barbecue – Roy Burns, proprietor of Burns B-B-Q. Tony arrives to a shack in the middle of nowhere and is given the tour. He orders a few sample platters and goes outside to enjoy them with his new friends Dave and Roy.

While in Texas, Tony visits with his friend John Lonergan who grills up some ribs in his backyard. Tony and John drink a beer on the porch, then once the ribs are done, go inside and enjoy the ribs with a side of salad which is his first in days.

Tony then rounds out the barbecue quest by going to North Carolina where he meets up with Ed Mitchell of Mitchell’s BBQ in eastern NC. Mitchell is into cooking the whole hog and walks Tony through the process where nothing is wasted, even the skin. Afterwards, Tony and Ed belly up to the pig bar where they help themselves to a little bit of everything.
But Tony finds out that there is a barbecue feud going on between the eastern and western sides of North Carolina, so to further investigate Tony travels west

Oh man I gotta see that. I watch him alot and enjoy his quirky view of life.
That guy will eat anything (puffer fish).
Anybody catch when this will air here give a shout please.
ModelMaker

Isnt UK on PAL ? I would not have a problem as my dvd player is an all region one that plays PAL as well but others might have issues. I would be interested in a copy though..what do you want as far as paying for the blank and postage?

Houston? :roll: His book "Kitchen Confidential" was very good but his BBQ compass is faulty.

CarbonToe, Would love to buy a copy from you. Let me know what shipping and the blank cost. I have dialup service here....Takes forever to load even this forum. Thats the price we have to pay for living in the country I guess.
Let me know and thanks for the offer. Id love to see that.
Mike

No Charge, Just PM me your address.

If a few people want it I could email a batch to a single US address and that person could distribute them.

With broadband we could use Bit Torrent and just download the ISO

Geek Alert

Smoker said:

Speak english dammit, this is America.......

I think show is about two years old. It's pretty good and shows up on cable here too.

Smoker said:

I'm a little touchy about uploading the torrent as I could potentially get into loads of copyright troubles, the odd DVD I don't think they would be worried about as its non profit and good will based....(I hope)

RichardF said:
I think show is about two years old. It's pretty good and shows up on cable here too.

I saw it about a year ago, but I've had to wait this long to catch a repeat to record it, so that sounds about right.

I did it as I remember somone mentioning in a post Klose and a Magnum (not a Walls Ice Cream) and he gives that speil in this show.

For a US program its a good watch!!! :twisted:

.....don't get me started on 'License to grill'......for entertainment purposes (of the wrong kind) torrent the Xmas special and watch the segment on the WSM :icon_sleepy

Next Air Date

It appears that it will not be on US TV any time soon, but the Canadian Foodnetwork shows this;

http://www.foodtv.ca/ontv/titledetails.aspx?titleid=67197
A Cook's Tour

Episode: The BBQ Triangle
HOSTED BY: Anthony Bourdain

UPCOMING EPISODES:
divider.gif

Tuesday, July 18

4:30 AM EST

The BBQ Triangle (CC)

Back