• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Power Cooking Temps

T

tjones1105

Hello,
I want to experiment with power cooking (higher temps) but I'm not sure at what temp/meat I should start at. I have looked around the forums but I did not find much, or I used the wrong search criteria.

Thanks,
tom

Hello,
I want to experiment with power cooking (higher temps) but I'm not sure at what temp/meat I should start at. I have looked around the forums but I did not find much, or I used the wrong search criteria.

Thanks,
tom

Hot & fast, per a number of World Champs, is said to be between 300-350 degrees.

To me, low & slow for brisket & pork butt (and similiar).

275-300 for ribs

325 for chicken.

If you want hot & fast brisket & butt: 325 until you reach a 195-205 internal temp.

Thanks,
about how long for the ribs and chicken, at those temps?

tom

Thanks,
about how long for the ribs and chicken, at those temps?

tom

Chicken will generally take between 40-50 minutes: take temp readings from all areas of the chicken pieces, and do not pull until all readings are in the 170 range, internally. Rest for 1 hour, wrapped in foil.

Ribs: 5 hours minimum (3-2-1 works well): when they bend, they're done. Rest them, too. In fact, I rest all my meats.

These are ballpark figures. Get to know your cooker for best results, and read the brother's threads here. A wealth of info available.

Tom,

You haven't mentioned what temps you're cooking at now.

I started out as a low n slow type for everything with charcoal as a fuel. I'm now a few cookers down the road and am using mostly sticks as fuel. My typical cook is now ~250(to 275) for pork and beef and ~ 325 for poultry. My last cook was an experiment at 325 +/- for a butt and brisket and things didn't work quite as expected. Results were ok but not great.

Let me sugggest you try bumping cooks by 25-50 degrees at a time to see how things progress as cook temps rise.

Back