Injecting durring the cook.

B

BBQ Bill

I was just pondering the idea of injecting durring the cook using an injection warmed up to the temp of the meat. Not necessarily as much as when you begin the cook but just to add moisture along the way. Anyone ever do this?

No, i inject the night before and put in a ziploc bag and back in the fridge. You donot need it during the cook as when you leave the lid closed it stays moist.

Many, including myself, do second and third injections on hog and it works great. I'm sure it would work on shoulders or butts too if you feel it's needed. Don't know on brisket.

This same question was asked in a previous thread a day or so ago I believe ThirdEye says he does it I am of a different persuasion.
When meat is hot it is under pressure from the moisture in the mussel fibers expanding .Jamming a needle into said piece of meat lets the moisture out thus drying out the meat. Because the fibers are swollen up and tight anything you squirt in will run right back out cooling the meat down and prolonging cook time.

This same question was asked in a previous thread a day or so ago I believe ThirdEye says he does it I am of a different persuasion.
When meat is hot it is under pressure from the moisture in the mussel fibers expanding .Jamming a needle into said piece of meat lets the moisture out thus drying out the meat. Because the fibers are swollen up and tight anything you squirt in will run right back out cooling the meat down and prolonging cook time.

That makes sense because when I check the temp on meat with a thermapen, pulling it out is always followed by allot of juice.

Give it a go and report.:clap2:

Some will,some won't
Some do,some don't

Some can,some cain't
Some are,some ain't

To thine own self be true.
After all,it is YOUR Q!

I've done this with good results on butts in comps. Didn't use the initial type injection then, but my own flavor enhancements. And if you use smaller needles, hardly any leakage. Steve.

I have done this in comps with chicken thighs and can report excellent results...

Back