• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Ok guys, where are the good BBQ places in Memphis?

TurkeyLeg

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
We are planning a trip to Memphis this summer and wanted to get the lowdown on some good Que! Thanks in advance!

The original Interstate BBQ by the river, in the 'working class' neighborhood, not the other outlying locations.

On every corner. BBQ nachos at Germantown Commissary are very good. BBQ pizza at Pete & Sam's. Central BBQ is great for lunch. Ribs at The Rendezvous is fun for visitors, although the story and the ambiance are a big part of that. My brother that still lives down there is partial to Corky's for ribs... I think.

If you decide you want to switch up and have a steak one night, the best steak I've ever eaten came from The Butcher Shop, although that was at the old location. I don't know if quality changed when they moved.

Stay away from Rendezvous!!!
We tried it based on everyone telling us it's the best ribs ever.
I have 10 year old shoes that are more tender and taste better in my closet!!

While staying at the Peabody we would go the the concierge floor for coffee and a snack in the mornings. A very nice older gentleman would greet us and asked what our daily plans are and if he could help us with local fare. We would ask where to go for great Q and Ribs. He mention to us Blues City Cafe. "It is where us locals go for Ribs"
And then we would go somewhere else that we were told about. One night we went to Rendezvous, just down the ally. It was the worst ribs ever!!. Next morning he asked how we were and did we have a good evening. I replied about our experience and he replied with a smile "Locals don't go there much any more, mostly tourists." "You may want to try the Blues City Cafe!"
And yet again I did not listen and went to BB Kings place. We walked in and the music was at about 110 db. No one to seat us. Looked to the right and a couple was leaving so we seated ourselves. After about 20 minutes a waitress asked if the Hostess had seated us. I said what Hostess, no one was at the door when we came in and we just grabbed the open table. We were then told we had to get up and go back to the door and wait to be seated. I said no I don't and we left.
As we were leaving I looked directly across Beale St and there was The Blues City Cafe!! We walked to the door and we were seated. While walking in I noticed what was on everyone's plates. Nothing but bones, Rib Bones!! Clean picked and piled up. Best damn ribs I have ever had from a restaurant!!
Next morning as we greeted the gentleman he asked and we told him of out experience.
He said, yes sir like I was saying "It's were we locals go for Ribs!"
Silly me for not taking his advice! :mrgreen:

We recently returned from a Memphis trip. Second the recommendations for Central BBQ (Central Ave. location) and Blues City Cafe. We also liked Memphis BBQ Company, a short drive away. It's Melissa Cookston's place.

Lived there for 18 years, and I am still unsure. Good eats for me are: chopped pork sandwich at The Commissary, Memphis BBQ Company Ribs or pulled pork in Southaven, Central Ribs, One And Only pulled pork in GTown, Corky's dry rub ribs, Blues City Cafe wet ribs, Marlowe's ribs, Interstate chopped pork plate or screw it and eat some Gus's fried chicken... :)

I fly into Memphis for work in Olive Branch. I haven't had good BBQ there yet. but I agree Gus's fried chicken is insane!!! But don't go in the middle of the afternoon. I got sub-par chicken. Go when it's busy and they're cranking it out.

The best BBQ in the Memphis area is about 1200 miles east with a little south thrown in. Check out my avatar. You can't beat Greenville , SC.

I still remember fondly the ribs I had at Paines, sadly now long gone. They were not sweet at all, simple dry rub and perfectly smoked in the old pit out back.

Another vote for Germantown Commisary and Central BBQ.

Not a fan of Rendevous.

Memphis BBQ in Southhaven is great. As well as Steak by Melissa which is just around the corner from it.

Skip Rendezvous....

At at Central many, many years ago and remember enjoying it. Gus' Fried Chicken for sure - just go.

Back