• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

KCBS Involvement

Does that number include life members?

I made an error while posting pulling info from a spreadsheet I created (I subbed the number of domestic members voting for international members). Domestic membership is 15601, international is 1652, and at the top of the list on the certification document is a blank location reflecting 870 members? That's a membership of 18,123 as of 1/17/18.

I'd suspect that lifetime members would be reflected within those numbers, and included in the total for their respective countries.

The document has a link on the front page of the KCBS site. A member account is required to view it.

There was a pretty interesting exchange during the last meeting about the use of free memberships to drive up the membership numbers for marketing purposes.

A professional non-profit that I belong to did the free membership trial a few years ago as a means of dealing with declining membership. The free members were able to reap the discounts that vendor/sponsors gave to dues paying members. At the end of their free trial membership, less than 3% chose to become dues paying members. Membership continued to decline even while the free members were added. The problem mainly lies in the fact that younger generations do not join in the numbers that older folks did.

Robert

A professional non-profit that I belong to did the free membership trial a few years ago as a means of dealing with declining membership. The free members were able to reap the discounts that vendor/sponsors gave to dues paying members. At the end of their free trial membership, less than 3% chose to become dues paying members. Membership continued to decline even while the free members were added. The problem mainly lies in the fact that younger generations do not join in the numbers that older folks did.

Robert

Pretty much this. Free stuff only begets requests for more free stuff.

Robert

The discounts need to have some serious value to get someone to pay for a membership. Gone are the pre-internet days when you didn't have access to so many things.

Being that it's still winter, also I'm bored and still looking around the new web platform (wondering why stuff is where it is, not where it was?) I found myself reading the KCBS Bylaws and from time to time see mentions of salaries or cash paid for this or that or him or her and yet have found any viewable record of who gets a salary or what payments go to whomever.
I see at the top of each monthly BOD meeting somebody offers financial report, somebody 2nd's it, and boom it's passed. Does KCBS have this information available to all of its members to parous ?

Being that it's still winter, also I'm bored and still looking around the new web platform (wondering why stuff is where it is, not where it was?) I found myself reading the KCBS Bylaws and from time to time see mentions of salaries or cash paid for this or that or him or her and yet have found any viewable record of who gets a salary or what payments go to whomever.
I see at the top of each monthly BOD meeting somebody offers financial report, somebody 2nd's it, and boom it's passed. Does KCBS have this information available to all of its members to parous ?

You can take a look at the 990s. You will not get a break down of what each employee in the office is paid.

https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/431488552

Well that was interesting KCBS is in the red under 2016's charge?
Executive compensation was $100K and other salaries and wages were a cool 1/4 Million?
Does anybody know what a Executive Director or CEO might be paid monthly from the dues collected mostly (I would imagine) by CBJ's?
Any reason why the financial report voted on every month is not available to its members?

Censorship? From the agenda...
We need to be able to block social media that gets negative on all KCBS enabled sites.

From the "Official KCBS certified judges" FB page;

Must be a KCBS Member in good standing to join group. Membership status is verified with the KCBS Office. Constructive comments are welcomed. Excessive criticism will get you removed from the group. Comments NOT related directly to judging within KCBS may be removed. This is not a forum to vent or bash any faction of KCBS membership, staff, associates, etc.

And yes I joined, and I'm still there...for now.
Ed

Would be Excellent if the group was renamed the KCBS Active certified judges FB page. Must be a currently active cbj to join and to remain a member.

I do believe it would foster more constructive conversations between active CBJs...

Would be Excellent if the group was renamed the KCBS Active certified judges FB page. Must be a currently active cbj to join and to remain a member.

I do believe it would foster more constructive conversations between active CBJs...

I believe if you are current paid member of KCBS and are a CBJ then you ARE an ACTIVE certified bbq judge.
Ed

Just seems as though there are too many Active cooks that at one time took the class but have not been actively judging since ...

The fact they don't have a major sponsor for TOY is evidence of how poorly managed KCBS has been. The fact that Sams leaving meant they don't have money for any of the big items that can potentially bring publicity and attention to KCBS (Sams series, TOY - including helping them get on major TV shows and show what BBQ Is about, etc). Hoping the new board fixes some of these issues. I believe having a few professionals whose job it is to do these things will certainly help.

The fact they don't have a major sponsor for TOY is evidence of how poorly managed KCBS has been. The fact that Sams leaving meant they don't have money for any of the big items that can potentially bring publicity and attention to KCBS (Sams series, TOY - including helping them get on major TV shows and show what BBQ Is about, etc). Hoping the new board fixes some of these issues. I believe having a few professionals whose job it is to do these things will certainly help.
A couple of years ago we had an idea to couple a BBQ contest with a fishing tournament. The cooks and fishermen drew for partnership. The cooks cooked the normal 4 meats and the fishing crew did their normal thing. At 2pm the fishing crews were back and they had to provide 1 fish for their BBQ team. The team had 45 minutes to butcher, cook and turn in the fish which was then judged. Fishing tournaments are big bucks and have big sponsors, the fishing people were interested. KCBS wouldn't even answer the emails. The idea died.

Back