Dear Self Elected DJ @ every Competetion

This made me laugh..........I agree 100%. The funny thing is it's always some random classic rock, Jimmy Buffet, or something we don't care about.....and most of the time involves a crowd around them drinking heavily.

The party is great, having fun awesome, your speakers facing out on stands cranked up...not so awesome.

I don't care what the music is, I just didn't want blaring....zero consideration for the other teams.

From someone on the other side of the fence and a team that plays music when ever we cook. Please come say something before becoming irate. Speaking for us, we are not offended and understand if someone asks us to turn it down. Most of the time it is neighbors asking us to turn it up.
Its all about comunication.

music should be limited to what is audible in your own spot. no one should ask another to tun it up because they are not only asking for themselves but for the ten or so spots around them. also, cursing and conversations of adult subject matter has been a problem at two recent contests i was at. i compete with my son and my mother on the team and guys should realize that ladys and kids are often part of this activity and monitor themselves accordingly.

I have to agree with Doug! I don't play much loud music outside my spot, but do in the trailer! I rather enjoyed Dougs loud music Friday and Saturday in Laplatte. I even opened my vending window on the trailer friday and Saturday up until turn in time so I could listen to his much better quality sound system!

From someone on the other side of the fence and a team that plays music when ever we cook. Please come say something before becoming irate. Speaking for us, we are not offended and understand if someone asks us to turn it down. Most of the time it is neighbors asking us to turn it up.
Its all about comunication.

I get what you're saying, but on a few occasions myself or members of my team have respectfully requested that people lower their volume. To our faces they say "sure no problem" but then after we walk away they turn it up louder. Unfortunately there are thise out there that turn it up loud to intentionally annoy the crap out of other competitors.

This is a sticky subject as having the volume loud enough for only your site to hear, well that is most likely pretty low and hard to hear in your own site. Yes, sometimes it does get irritating to hear other folks music, but then sometimes the band playing at a comp is more irritating than other competitors.

I don't know, for the most part, we live with it, as it usually doesn't last too long.

wallace

When we have music, it tends to be live pickers, so turning it down typically involves giving the banjo player something to eat to keep his fingers busy. :D

PS - even the worst CD or radio is better than Scary-Okee! Please confine your singing to the shower if your tune leaks out of the bucket you are carrying it in...

or the snoring:behindsofa:
You sly dog!!! Just after I posted this, I knew you would chime in here!!! Heck, did you guys hear us even being across the isle this last weekend? The wife woke up, had to use the rest-room and said she could hear me half way down to the porta-pottys!

I am surprised Brown Liqueur and Rockin' Robyn teams didn't call "foul ball" on me and throw a bucket of water on me!

I guess the folks that don't like loud music might not want to camp next to us. :icon_blush:

wallace

Back on topic, I'm seeing more and more teams setting up with small (or larger) PA's mounted on pole stands. Really? You need a 250 watt PA for your 20x40 space? At one event this year we had to go down the isle 10 sites and ask that they turn their music down and we got the same response that Q-Dat got.:mmph:

Something else to consider is that PA amps can consume a fair amount of electricity and rob the grid when the volume gets turned up.

I'm not a total fogy, but this emerging trend is something organizers need to address.

This is a sticky subject as having the volume loud enough for only your site to hear, well that is most likely pretty low and hard to hear in your own site. Yes, sometimes it does get irritating to hear other folks music, but then sometimes the band playing at a comp is more irritating than other competitors.

I don't know, for the most part, we live with it, as it usually doesn't last too long.

wallace

The bands can be bad, but that's part of bringing people in for a festival. No people, no festival.

The bands can be bad, but that's part of bringing people in for a festival. No people, no festival.

Please understand me, I am not saying a band is playing badly! I could never play any musical intrument that would be acceptable to anybody.

Too farking loud is what I meant.

So at that point, what is the difference between someone playing their own music loud and the band playing loud?

If it is the band, that is part of the event and I understand. If it is a competitor, I hope they turn it down, sooner rather than later.

wallace

I play music pretty loud in my site. Mostly in my trailer and almost exclusively on the morning of turn ins. Often my trailer ramp is open. I never intend on bothering anyone with my music. I play it loud (relative definition) so I can get into a rythem and out of my head a bit during the most intense time of a contest.

As someone said communicaiton is the key anytime someone is "bothering" you with their music or language or loud conversation or excessive alcohol influinced behavior and lets throw in my cigars, my smoking pipe and others marijuana too.

I have only once been asked to turn down my music so "maybe" im not as bad as some describe here but the one conversation I have had was short and I was happy to turn it down.

I have at times mentioned to a neighbor that I play my music a bit loud and informed the neighbor that if it bothered them to please let me know. Courtesy does not dictate I change my behavior nor you yours unless either one of us are bothered by the actions of the other.

As far as organizers getting involved beyond quiet time rules, I would humbly suggest that there is a slippery slope here that ends with much larger issues of legality than some loud music. (You know the old "First they came for the Jews" etc etc)

I say lets all be nice to each other and talk. Tell me if I bother you and ill do the same.

Back