Big Green Egg find(?)

L

LittleDick'sBBQ

Greetings,

I have a line on a medium Big Green Egg. The ad states: "3 yr old, Medium, New Nomex Gasket, V Rack, Platesetter, Excellent Condition" Not being a BGE aficionado, I have questions. What is all this stuff? What would be a good price to offer?

Thank you,
Little Dick

If you get a nice price on it I would get it all.
The platesetter is for indirect cooking,the V-rack is for roasts and ribs (I think) and the Nomex is a gasket.

The v- rack is a wire rack which, turned one way cradles meat up off the grate. When turned upside down can be used as a rib rack. The nomex gasket is a higher heat replacement gasket between the lid and bottom. The plate setter is used for indirect cooking and is a must.

$400 with those accessories, provided there are no cracks is a good, but not great deal.

I think a new Medium Egg is around $550. The Plate Setter is around $40 and a V Rack is $10, so to buy that all brand new you're looking at $600. If this one is in perfect condition and has all of the original pieces, $400 is OK, but I'd offer $300. The worst that can happen is they say no.

Look at the Big Green Egg web site and it will tell you what comes with a new Egg and what the platesetter is.

With the guy stating those additions, he may know what he has. Does it have a nest? That would add another $150 to the price of a new one. The medium I bought was 10 years old but in like new condition, with nest, side tables and cast iron top daisy wheel. The guy mostly just wanted to get it off his patio and was asking $100, so I said "Hmmm, let me think about it...OK I'LL TAKE IT!" I'd offer $250 and go up to $300, but it really depends how badly you want it.
These are fantastic cookers, and if narrowed down at gunpoint to only being allowed one cooker, I'd have to chose a BGE type cooker because they're so darned versatile.

Back