Dumb question: Is there a fancier name for tri-tip?

J

jswordy

I have been looking for tri-tip in stores around here. No such animal. Does it come with a fancier name, as well? And what are you paying per pound? Thanks. I feel the urge to experiment with this meat, if I could ever find it.

Some call it Triangle Roast. If you can't find it at the grocery then check a butcher store if you have one close. It comes off the Bottom Round I believe.

As far as price, I really don't remember, but it isn't overly expensive...

In South Florida, we have a fancy name for it, Notachance!:mad:

Craig

Did a search and found this on a board.

Other names include: triangular/traingle roast, bottom sirloin butt, corner cut, culotte steak and, I think, knuckle cap.

:lol:HA!

Is it a lesser cut of meat or something? I've no experience with this cut.

I've no idea, but I can't find any here. Since the first time I saw it prepared on the tube I've wanted to try it.

Craig

If you want to get super technical-here's the official meat cutter classification:

• Beef Loin, Bottom Sirloin Butt, Tri-Tip, Boneless, IMPS/NAMP 185C
This item is the portion of the bottom sirloin that remains after removal of the flap (185A) and the ball tip (185B). It is a triangular-shaped muscle and may have up to 1/4-inch fat covering.

• Beef Loin, Bottom Sirloin Butt, Tri-Tip, Boneless, Defatted, IMPS/NAMP 185D
This item is the same as # 185C except that practically all the surface fat and membranous tissue is removed.

The reason I was told that it was not popular, and hence became the cut of choice for ranchers and other folks in cattle country, is that it is odd shaped and does not package well, it cooks unevenly, and it is a small cut and the carcass gives up only two per animal. Hence, there was no real market.

(edit) Another hard to find cut is the baseball cut sirloin steak. This is also worth seeking out. Similar to tri-tip, it comes from the center cut of the top sirloin and is very tasty, seared and cooked to medium rare, it is very tasty.

Very nice cut, no gristle, bone or trimming. Slice thin for perfect smoked beef sammies.
100_1359.jpg

100_1366.jpg

They're plentiful and pretty cheap in SoCal. They're usually just over $2/lb.

Low end cut...

but great flavor. Those in Cali know well the Santa Maria Tri-tip. Can be tough if overdone but proper slicing makes for a great meal.

Knuckle Cap sounds like a good name for a microbrew!

I'll bet I will find it here called bottom sirloin or bottom sirloin butt. I'll look for that. I haven't seen any with the distinctive triangle shape.

Back