Simply Marvelous BBQ catering gigs

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I got a PM from Big Brother Smoke a few weeks ago asking if I could help him out with some catering. He had 3 gigs booked on one day and needed some backup. Plus he was paying!:-D How could I turn that down?

Anyway, I got up at 6am Saturday morning and drove out to Ventura. I got there about 7:15am and BBS was already in full swing. I just fell right in with him and we did our prep work for the first gig. He already had the Baby Backs and some chicken going in the smoker. I washed down the trailer and made 5 gallons each of sweet tea and lemonade. Then we made beans and corn muffins. About 10 am, we had everything packed up and ready to go. He drove the SUV with the trailer attached and I drove the Cargo Van about 45 miles up to Santa Barbara. When we got there. He told me to go put some of that roll out plastic tablecloth on the tables and staple them down with a staple gun. He thought that was an easy enough job. At least that is what he led me to believe. Write this down: Never try put tablecloths on a table at the beach by yourself when it is windy!

It's probably pretty fun to get someone else to do it though. Nuff said.

Anyway we had a pretty easy go of it, in spite of settignup in the wrong spot and having to move. (You can imagine how hot I was about that after we finally got those tablecloths down!) I worked the smoker and the Santa Maria grill. Made Tri-tip, chicken and crab cakes to go with the other stuff.

Everything went off without a hitch and everyone loved the food! Then we loaded up the smoker for the next party, packed up and went to the other site. Here's another interesting tidbit: It's interesting and a little unnerving riding behind a trailer with a smoker on it and being able to see the fire in the fire box. Also, no matter how much you think you have cleaned it out, hot ash still flies out of a Santa Maria Grill when you are on the highway.

I have to run over to my father's house. I will give you more on this story later...

So we get to the park where the next gig is and I get the Santa Maria going again. BBS gets the food together for the delivery he has to do and I start working on the chicken that was in the smoker so we can put the sausage in the smoker. We have to cook chicken and sausage for 150 people. BBS takes off to go make the delivery and I finish up the first batch of chicken and get ready to start the second batch of chicken.

Oops! The chicken is in the back of tha van that Big Brother Smoke is driving to deliver the other food. Meanwhile, people are showing up and here I am on this Big Red Trailer with no chicken to cook.

What to do?

Throw some hickory and apple wood on the Santa Maria to make it smell real ggod and start loading it up with sausages. I had three different kinds going all at the same time with the fire coming up and smoke smelling up the area. Boy I looked busy!!

Anyway, BBS made it back in record time, we got the chicken cooked and Big Brother Smoke put out an unbelieveable spread. Everyone was happy and full. So we packed up and headed back to Ventura.

Oh and remember what I said about ash flying out of the grill? It's even more spectacular at night! It's almost like driving behind a fireworks show!

I had a great time cooking with BBS and would do it again in a hearbeat. (Just between you and me, I'd probably do it for free but getting paid is much nicer. Just don't tell him that!!)

Nice write up Mista.

Sounds like you two had a great time!

Great Job Mista!! and Not to Worry...Your secret is safe with the Brethren...No way would we tell BBS... That You would be willing to Work For Free!!:biggrin: :biggrin:

Remember, that's a secret!!!

Good! And BTW...had some of the ribs last night. They were good! No sauce needed!

sounds like a great time getting paid is nice also, I'm surprised that you guy's got away with the pit being hot good way to get a ticket?

Mista,

Old Bob told me a secret that you would work for free if you were doing a BBQ catering gig is that true?

Ahem...errr...cough...well...ummm...

We should have this conversation offline.

Great write up Mista, I have always wondered if I could trailer my rig while it cooked...guess I just have to make sure I don't blow anyones car up that's tailgating me...:mrgreen:

I'm trying to remember and I can't remember seeing anything on the news about a huge forest fire out that way so I guess all is well. Whew...

Great write up Mista, I have always wondered if I could trailer my rig while it cooked...guess I just have to make sure I don't blow anyones car up that's tailgating me...:mrgreen:

The Smoker was fine. It was the Santa Maria Grill that was giving up the ash.

I'm trying to remember and I can't remember seeing anything on the news about a huge forest fire out that way so I guess all is well. Whew...

Yes, lesson learned. I am going to have to water or extingusih the grill some how before pulling off again. I usually do not have anyone following me, so I did not know:shock: :lol:

Scared of turning that ash to acid with water. However, I live in the country and a forest fire for me means no home.

Back