Cold Smoking and Canning Salmon

:shocked: I am officially blown away.

That really looks fantastic, it's very well explained, and I continue to be impressed by the depth and breadth of your knowledge of delicious stuff. Very, very nicely done Jeanie! :clap:

Thank you JD and Dirtbuddy!!

Delicious!! Wish I had temps in So Florida that I would do cold smokin!

Thank you samfsu! Not sure about Florida, but sometimes ice tubs in smokers will bring temps down.

Ijustwantedtolookatpics....Thanks! :becky:

I want to make a smokehouse now!

Richard...you need one! :thumb: Thanks..

:shocked: I am officially blown away.

That really looks fantastic, it's very well explained, and I continue to be impressed by the depth and breadth of your knowledge of delicious stuff. Very, very nicely done Jeanie! :clap:
Greg you are so sweet... Thanks friend. :hug:

DaChief..Thank you!! :becky:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
wow nice work! i would love to try this? i don't know anything about canning so my question is does the pressure canner additionally cook the salmon? what temp does it get up to during the canning time? thanks.

wow nice work! i would love to try this? i don't know anything about canning so my question is does the pressure canner additionally cook the salmon? what temp does it get up to during the canning time? thanks.

Thank you rookiedad!
The salmon is not cooked in the smokehouse, it is cold smoked, so it is still raw.
The canning process cooks it. This is not the same as lox.

Here's more info on pressure canning..

There are four basic agents of food spoilage – enzymes, mold, yeast, and bacteria. Canning will interrupt the natural spoilage cycle, so food can be preserved safely. Molds, yeast, and enzymes are destroyed at temperatures below 212° F, the temperature at which water boils (except in mountainous regions). Therefore, boiling water processing is sufficient to destroy those agents.

Bacteria, however, are not as easily destroyed. The bacteria, Clostridium botulinum produces a spore that makes a poisonous toxin which causes botulism. This spore is not destroyed at 212° F. In addition, bacteria thrive on low acids in the absence of air. Therefore, for a safe food product, low-acid foods need to be processed at 240° F. This temperature can only be achieved with a pressure canner.

The amount of pressure and the length of time you process the jars is determined by your altitude too. You need to follow the instructions for the pressure canner that you have.

Canning intensifies the smoke flavor so a shorter amount of cold smoke is best. The shorter smoke time also makes for moist salmon. :thumb:

Hope you give it a try... and keep me posted!
Thanks again..

I fell in love with that smokehouse of yours years ago, and continue to pine over it! Simple and pure in design and function.

As always your posts are attainable and well layed out.

Once again you hit one out of the park

Thanks for all you share

Hey Jeanie, my honey came up with another question, if you don't mind. Her eagle eyes saw that the finished product seems to be completely immersed in liquid, as is proper, but she didn't see where you added any before the pressurizing stage.
Oh, and I'm looking for a site for our new smokehouse. (chuckle)

Arlin

I fell in love with that smokehouse of yours years ago, and continue to pine over it! Simple and pure in design and function.

As always your posts are attainable and well layed out.

Once again you hit one out of the park

Thanks for all you share

Thank you so much, you are so sweet! :hug:

Hey Jeanie, my honey came up with another question, if you don't mind. Her eagle eyes saw that the finished product seems to be completely immersed in liquid, as is proper, but she didn't see where you added any before the pressurizing stage.
Oh, and I'm looking for a site for our new smokehouse. (chuckle)

Arlin

Arlin, I don't mind at all! When I raw pack meat, the process makes it's own liquid or juice. No liquids are added.
Here is a link to some "raw" packed venison I did awhile back...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96721

When I process "cooked" meats, I add liquid. Here's a link to some cooked chicken and stock...
http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2009/09/canning-chicken-thinning-hen-herd.html

when the meat is cooked first, I like to add it with stock or liquid.

You really do need a smokehouse. Not sure how anyone gets by without one. lol It's a "must" if you raise pigs too. :)

Thanks again Arlin and tell Jeannie Hi for me! :-D

That is absolutely awesome! I have a good friend that brings me Kings and Cohos from Lake Michigan each year. I brine and smoke it and make a very good product but was looking for "something else." This is it! I love this site for inspiration!

I always feel that you can taste the effort in good food. I am sick of the mantra "it's so easy" when it comes to food. Cowgirl has put in the effort and I'm sure it can be tasted in every morsel of that salmon. I can just hear the someone saying "Damn, this is good!" at a mid winter cocktail party after someone tries a cracker with that dip on it.

That is absolutely awesome! I have a good friend that brings me Kings and Cohos from Lake Michigan each year. I brine and smoke it and make a very good product but was looking for "something else." This is it! I love this site for inspiration!

I always feel that you can taste the effort in good food. I am sick of the mantra "it's so easy" when it comes to food. Cowgirl has put in the effort and I'm sure it can be tasted in every morsel of that salmon. I can just hear the someone saying "Damn, this is good!" at a mid winter cocktail party after someone tries a cracker with that dip on it.

Grain Belt, Thank you!! :hug: I bet your fresh smoked salmon is wonderful!
I'm hoping to try this canned salmon out on my deer camp friends in a few weeks. :becky:

Please keep me posted if you process some!

Der Husker... Thank you!! :grin:

Great timing on this post and thanks for all the great info. As usual!
I've been kippering salmon for years and was just talking to FIL about canning some this year...gotta find a pressure cooker now.
We've got over 30 lbs. vac-sucked in the freezer thanks to this guy...and the other three we caught a week or so ago in Sacramento river. This was my son's first Salmon. He had a bit of assistance but he worked hard for it.

Attachments

• Jacks 1st Salmon.jpg
    Jacks 1st Salmon.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 97
Great timing on this post and thanks for all the great info. As usual!
I've been kippering salmon for years and was just talking to FIL about canning some this year...gotta find a pressure cooker now.
We've got over 30 lbs. vac-sucked in the freezer thanks to this guy...and the other three we caught a week or so ago in Sacramento river. This was my son's first Salmon. He had a bit of assistance but he worked hard for it.

Wow, Great pic!! I bet that was fun to bring in! :becky:
I've not tried kippered salmon, would love to hear how you make it.
Sounds like you are set for winter too. Congratulations on the catch! :thumb:

The way I understand it is that Kippered Salmon is "smoke cooked". I got the method from Steven Raichlen's "How to Grill" and later figured out that the process was Kippering. I also gleened a lot of info from our friend Thirdeye on the process.
I usually dry cure w/kosher and brown surgar. Longer for thicker pieces, shorted for thinner ones as I don't want to remove toooo much moisture or get the fish toooo salty. Then I let salmon soak in some dark rum for a while then smoke it slowly on the UDS at a temp below 200* until fish gets to about 140*. Then it gets vac sealed and handed out to neighbors, friends for holidays.

really nice smoked salmon jeanie. i have never seen canned smoked salmon before. great idea. i sure wished i lived closer.

WoW looks fantastic!! Made my mouth water. Going to cupboard and getting some salmon right now :)

Back