Busting Loose Old Nuts & Bolts

Arlin_MacRae

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Noobie question:

I've tried to break the nuts loose from the bolts holding the fire box and smoke box together, with no luck. I'm still shy of stripping them, but not by much.

What's the best stuff to put on these bastages to free them up? I really don't want to try ten different things and then suffer from weird fumes for ever....

I plan to run a long, hot burn afterwards to clear out residue, of course.

Thanks!

Arlin

If you got the right tools you can saw them off with one of those cutting wheels. Cool tool.

Many ways and stuff that you could use to remove them, just wait and the ideas will appear. I just used a angle grinder and ground them off, replaced them with stainless bolts so they would be harder to grind off the next time

icemn62 said:
I take it you tried the products like liquid wrench and penetrating oils?

No, just elbow grease so far. I didn't want to put a lot of things on it that wouldn't work. Might just cut and replace like the guys are saying.

Thanks!

the single best thing to use on rusted bolts and nuts you actually want to remove by hand is PB-Blaster.. spray it on, let it soak for awhile, (like overnight) and try again..

if all else fails.. dremel tool w/ a cutting wheel, and dont forget the eye protection, those dreml discs have a habit of exploding in your face!

the single best thing to use on rusted bolts and nuts you actually want to remove by hand is PB-Blaster.. spray it on, let it soak for awhile, (like overnight) and try again.

I'll vouch for this stuff too. You can get it at any Auto Parts place. Watch the spray mist and your eyes, it burns like hell. I speak from experience.

Or, just use the redneck method and wring them off. If they're that frozen odds are the metal has been stressed and it won't take much to just break off the nut or bolt head.

This also works well on wheel mounting studs! :twisted:

Heating rusted nuts/bolts with a blow torch will generally loosen up all but the most stubborn ones. Use 6 point sockets if you have them they're less likely to round off the bolt heads/nuts.
If this works for you and you get them loose enough to remove, remember you've just heated them with a blow torch, I too speak from experience.
Try the heat first, if that doesn't work, go with the PB Blaster.

kcquer said:
Heating rusted nuts/bolts with a blow torch will generally loosen up all but the most stubborn ones. Use 6 point sockets if you have them they're less likely to round off the bolt heads/nuts.
If this works for you and you get them loose enough to remove, remember you've just heated them with a blow torch, I too speak from experience.
Try the heat first, if that doesn't work, go with the PB Blaster.
AMEN :lol:
If the heat does not work--PB Blaster.
It that don't work--snap them off or grind them off.
If that don't work--the N Koreans will sell ya a Nuke cheap :wink:

Heat or PB should do the trick (I spent toooooo many years owning and maintaining a salt-water boat--PB Blaster was our best friend) :wink:

TIM

Use Vice-Grips to avoid stripping completely and definitely replace with T18-8 stainless steel fasteners.

Right then. I'll heat 'em, twist 'em, spray 'em, or cut 'em!
Tanks, everyone.

Arlin_MacRae said:
Right then. I'll heat 'em, twist 'em, spray 'em, or cut 'em!
Tanks, everyone.

You didn't mention the nuclear option :D

Hmm, you know - the residual radioactivity might boost cooking temps!

Back