New to the forum smoker question

MarshallCountyMS

Reaction score
I am new to the forum and I have a quick question about smokers. I am without right now and would like to get back into it if possible (for somewhat cheap). I will be cooking on it weekly probably but rarely in very large amounts. Tell me if I am missing anything.

I have a O.K. Joe upright smoker but the firebox is rusted out in places. I could fix it (I have a welder) but im worried about dumping more money into this smoker as it was never super reliable for me.

I considered the char griller kamado acorn when they went on sale at kroger this week, and I didnt make it in time in my truck, and they sold out. Not sure if these are worth it for the full $300?

I looked at the vision classic kamado's but cant find any but I can't find any costco sales on them right now so thats a little high on budget.

And finally I have come full circle around to the idea of a UDS. We have drumco here local and I can get my hands on a nice drum for cheap, and I can weld, etc.... Plus I would love to have something I built as my Ice Chest Stereo is my current prize possession....

I have been back and forth alot, but I would really like to get back to being able to do some long smokes soon. Im sure its safe to say everyone on this forum is probably more knowledgeable than I am, so It would be great if some of y'all could throw your 2 cents in..

Thanks in advance!

I have both a UDS and Akorn. They are both good units, but also different. For pure smoking only (no grilling), make yourself a UDS. It's easy to make and cheap and it will give you good performance. I've always found the Akorn to have capacity issues - just doesn't hold much food, or at least compared to a UDS. However, the Akorn will let you grill and you can even do some high heat grilling.

As far as the OK Joe, there's a thread here on how to fix and modify it. I know that smoker has a big following as well. I'm sure others can tell you more about and they'll probably tell you to fix that one first, especially if you have the capability to weld.

If you want an inexpensive smoker (or optional grill when additional racks are added to the lower portion) your answer lies in a UDS. Check out the UDS thread - aka "the mother of all UDS threads"

Or spend $399 and go for a 22.5" WSM.

Welcome back to smoking.

I can make the UDS so cheap I was kind of leaning that way. The OK joe is probably 10-12 years old or older and just doesnt imo seem to have the airflow control but I could be off on that. I have a charcoal and gas standard grill so when it comes to steaks etc im covered for the time being for grilling purposes

I say UDS because you're on a budget, you can weld, etc and you can get a nice drum.

Everyone seems to be confirming what I was thinking. At least it will give me another build to go along with my radio cooler

I think you answered your own question, if not, UDS. Put in two grates and make a grill option(so you can raise the basket for direct grilling) and have a diffuser option as well. That should cover most smoking needs.

2012-07-13_19-52-01_755.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
2013-07-09005419.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Welcome to the forum. A new tool (UDS or whatever) is always cool but I would keep that OK Joe. I think even those new to the forum can use the search tool at the bottom of the page. Spend a little time searching for mods & restorations. A lot of folks here make some amazing Q with them.

I have an Akorn I use more than any of my other smokers now.They are great at what they do and I love mine.But as someone else said they dont hold much.Im considering making a UDS myself to go along with my Akorn mainly because Ive been entering a lot of smaller competitions this year and need the extra cooking space without having to haul around my 275 gallon smoker.I think it depends on how much you want to cook and how you want to cook it

UDS is simple, cheap and works great. I was in the same boat as you. Wanted to get into smoking, but didn't have much cash and knew that I wasn't going to be cooking THAT much ever.

I spent about $75 on parts for my UDS and the thing is super consistent. I can hold steady temps for hours and hours.

Good luck, and welcome!

Build a UDS and repair the Joe. The more weapons, the better.

Radio is awesome. Why did you not make a Yeti Radio :biggrin1:

I have an Akorn I love it as you have read its efficient, minimal tending and versatile.. Space can be an issue based on what you are smoking.. I have a CG Smokin Pro I sometimes will fire up for additional meat and or sides..

I would hold off for a sale. Call other Krogers? Keep an eye on weekly circulars and you will most likely find a way to get one cheaper.. But with that being said this time of year with the Akorn alot of places have sales and when they are gone, their gone till next year..

Wait a minute...
I know where Byhalia is and there ain't a beach anywhere near there!!!:wacko:

BTW, Welcome.

Started the uds build last night by cutting the intakes and burning it. I seem to have slightly warped the lid :evil: its not terrible so I'm hoping a rubber mallet will fix my issues tomorrow. Will post pictures soon. Thanks for all the advice.

Well either I bought it with a warped kid or I screwed it up. Either way it takes a ton of force to seat it. Thinking of scrapping the whole projects before it cost too much time and money and just buying a acorn

IMO I'm buying a Akorn this week but I'm also trying to build a UDS ....if I can add a UDS for less then $100 then I feel I cant go wrong

Back