Pulled the trigger and bought a food shack

nice little bbq shack. cool thread. nice to see the pics of how its coming along. got any pics of some of yalls finished product. brisket, pulled pork, cole slaw? if im ever in the area i will stop by. not a big fan of the cold though, but we will see.

• Thanks
Reactions: pwa
Some much need pictures of the plates that have been sent in! Thanks guys, still have some to put up and working on it! Deguerre now that you found them send them up I still have room to hang them :)

some picture of the plates sent up :) (thats my Daughter having fun lol)

xl07.jpg

4b6c.jpg

bzjb.jpg

jbx1.jpg

4b6c.jpg

And this is where I spend the majority of the time, yep doing dishes lol

99p3.jpg

nice little bbq shack. cool thread. nice to see the pics of how its coming along. got any pics of some of yalls finished product. brisket, pulled pork, cole slaw? if im ever in the area i will stop by. not a big fan of the cold though, but we will see.

Thanks, here is the only pic of a finished product I have(stole it of FB), I'll take some pics tomorrow and post.

This is our smash burger with PP, Provolone cheese and beans and mac for sides

y2u2.jpg

Hi Clint from the other end of the earth...

I may have missed it in the thread but where are you doing your smokin? I know you are using UDS,s but cant see them sitting around puffing magic smoke in any pics. So are you cooking at home and bringin it to the shack in coolers or what?
Regds.
Muzza in Perth for a while.

Hi Clint from the other end of the earth...

I may have missed it in the thread but where are you doing your smokin? I know you are using UDS,s but cant see them sitting around puffing magic smoke in any pics. So are you cooking at home and bringin it to the shack in coolers or what?
Regds.
Muzza in Perth for a while.

Out back of the shack, got 2 uds running non stop and a stoker :) I smoke Hot and Fast so it only takes about 5-6 hrs to cook.
I'll try and get a pic tomorrow

Clint

OK. Next question ... what is a smash burger and why is it called that.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4igYmNUoKi8"]Here is a video of it.[/ame] This is JMSetsler a member on the forum. but short is you take a 1/3 lb ball of hamburger and press it flat. Makes for a really juice hamburger.

So how does your daily schedule look.. if'n you are doing lunch time trade and it takes 5 hrs for H&F then you must be firing up around 06:00, 1/2 an hour to allow coals to settle and UDS to defrost,, 5 hrs to cook and them pulling time for 12:00 lunch time rush.
Put more on for the evening rush .. finish at about 19-20:00hrs and its been a damn long day... or are you doing it differently?

Muzza in Perth for a bit.

• Thanks
As a customer, I'd be happy to open that box.

Me too, wow look at that smoke ring. Looks juicy too. The mom & pop shack I went to recently here in Tulsa offered a brisket sandwich. I got it and bit into it: dry, not salty enough in the middle, and bark tasted both of fish and petrol.

I just know your business is gonna do crazy well -- as long as you offer hot, juicy, smokey yummy food! People love BBQ heh.

• Thanks
I will be there next Thursday to check it out in person. Looking forward to it. I'll be in Fairbanks to judge the Alaska state championship on July 21.

• Thanks
I will be there next Thursday to check it out in person. Looking forward to it. I'll be in Fairbanks to judge the Alaska state championship on July 21.

Take pictures of the food and give us a critique!

Just catching up on this thread. T-minus 30 days and counting :becky:

• Thanks
So how does your daily schedule look.. if'n you are doing lunch time trade and it takes 5 hrs for H&F then you must be firing up around 06:00, 1/2 an hour to allow coals to settle and UDS to defrost,, 5 hrs to cook and them pulling time for 12:00 lunch time rush.
Put more on for the evening rush .. finish at about 19-20:00hrs and its been a damn long day... or are you doing it differently?

Muzza in Perth for a bit.

I'm guessing that he's firing up closer to 4am.

Lunch today...

Beautiful day In Fairbanks today. Went by BurlesQ and picked up a pulled pork sandwich and sliced brisket plate. This is not intended to be competition barbecue; it is what I call eating barbecue. Given that, sliced brisket was pretty dry, but did have good flavor. Slaw was very soupy; bottom of the barrel. Beans were pretty good. Interesting bread choice for pork sandwich. Pork was also somewhat dry (difficult to hold cooked meat ready to serve and keep moisture). I'm sure meats were much better when fresh cooked. Overall, reasonable price for the area and nothing bad. Tried mustard sauce, shack sauce (vinegar) and competition sauce. Did not try the sweet sauce. Sauces were OK, nothing great.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
I imagine it is a bit challenging to keep the meat moist for long periods especially in such a small setup. One thing I can already appreciate is he doesn't just soak everything in sauce to hide the loss of moisture. Still, that looks better than some of the crap I have gotten at "big time chain" BBQ places. Looking forward to giving it a try myself. I can tell you, when we are up in Alaska, we are out of touch for days on end and after a week on a river or on the tundra, this would be a feast worth killing for.

• Thanks
Beautiful day In Fairbanks today. Went by BurlesQ and picked up a pulled pork sandwich and sliced brisket plate. This is not intended to be competition barbecue; it is what I call eating barbecue. Given that, sliced brisket was pretty dry, but did have good flavor. Slaw was very soupy; bottom of the barrel. Beans were pretty good. Interesting bread choice for pork sandwich. Pork was also somewhat dry (difficult to hold cooked meat ready to serve and keep moisture). I'm sure meats were much better when fresh cooked. Overall, reasonable price for the area and nothing bad. Tried mustard sauce, shack sauce (vinegar) and competition sauce. Did not try the sweet sauce. Sauces were OK, nothing great.

Thanks for stopping in, I showed my son (the Boy working, the Lady was on her second day.... still not an excuse) the review and pictures. The brisket, slaw, and PP are unacceptable and he knows it... soon as I showed him the pic he knew it. I have the reserved juices he's supposed to add to the meat to help keep it moist. Glad your up here. I'll be cooking at the comp as well. I'm sorry that went out the door it really shouldn't have.

Clint

Back