• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smashburgers!

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4igYmNUoKi8"]SmashBurgers - YouTube[/ame]

Greg at Ballistic BBQ on YouTube produced a replica Smashburger recently and after watching that video, I had to give it a try. Getting the press was the problem, but thanks to some of the Brethren here, I got hooked up with Matthew at Meyer Metal Works and got a press fabricated to do the job.

My objective wasn't to reproduce the Smashburger recipe. I just wanted to use the technique for cooking the burger. I love a GOOD fast food burger and most of them are cooked on a griddle rather than a grill. The only really good fast food burgers I have in my area are Five Guys. This technique worked very well and the burgers were awesome!

Nicely done! I don't have a griddle for the grill but may need to bust out the cast iron for this one... A+ cook!

What seasoning did you use? I always end up disappointed with my burger seasoning...

I'm not quite ready to give up the recipe yet because it still needs a good bit of tweaking. Currently it has salt, black pepper, granulated garlic, paprika, onion powder and chili powder. I can, however, assure you that when I think it's perfect, I'll post the recipe.

Looks good,but I still cant figure out how to replicate a "Steak'N'Shake" burger patty.

Great video and good looking burgers
I been waiting to see this from your earlier post about wanting to get the press.
Looks like the press is perfect. How did you like the burger and how was it different in flavor, texture, ect?

Great video and good looking burgers
I been waiting to see this from your earlier post about wanting to get the press.
Looks like the press is perfect. How did you like the burger and how was it different in flavor, texture, ect?

First of all, it was a really juicy burger and the flavor was excellent due to the crust forming on most of both surfaces of the patty. The butter and seasonings contribute to that quite a bit. The texture was a little 'looser' than my average grilled burgers that are a good bit thicker. These are also pretty much cooked to well-done status rather than the medium I would cook on a thicker burger.

The flavor profile you get on a griddle burger is going to be different based on the seasonings you use and how hot the griddle is. Unfortunately, I didn't measure the griddle temp when I put the burgers on and I should have hit it with my IR thermometer just for reference...

This isn't a criticism, just a comment.....I think the burgers looked great!

Surprised how that first burger was "Sticking" to the griddle when you turned it over.

Fatty meat + butter on the griddle and the crust stuck? I would have thought the burgers would slide around like greased pigs.

Back