• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Daddy's girl gets a mUDS

Way cool :thumb: Fun when you can get the family involved, I like the cart you have your one drum on what is it made from?
The cart is actually from an old Kenmore gasser I used to have. The bottom burned out on the grill. Pitched the grill and kept the cart. Now I'm always on the look out for grills with rolling carts getting discarded for UDS carts. It works awesome. :thumb:

That's great Tom! Would love to see the food pron (sans eggs please, ack!).
Sadly, it may not have happened, we were camping and I decided to go without taking any pics last weekend. :crazy: Still not sure what I was thinking.

Nice LiL Smoker. a mini UDS 2 cool. How big is the Charcoal basket?
I got frustrated looking for something to use so, as it stands now, I just took an old coffee can, cut the bottom off, burnt it up real good, and then placed it on a small weber charcoal rack. I spaced out the bolts holding up the grate from the ash pan to hold the can from sliding around. Not the most secure thing in the world. Holds about a chimney full of coals and so far I've had it burn for about 4 hours.

Good job. What is the lid from?
Dave

The lid is from a small charcoal grill that I picked up at a sale. I believe it was originally a Sunbeam brand grill. I took it apart and did a little paint customizing and also bent the lip out so it would fit on the drum.

Here is the internal pics.
The fire basket, made from a small Weber charcoal grate, 4 carriage bolts, a 9 inch round cake pan, and a coffee can.
mms_picture-6.jpg

Only holds about as much charcoal as a chimney.
mms_picture-5.jpg

The whole works then goes into the drum and is ready to have a couple of hot coals dropped on top.
mms_picture-4.jpg

Bolts are used for grate supports with the upper level having one that slides out to allow the bottom grate in.
mms_picture-3-1.jpg

Push the bolt back in and on goes the top grate.
mms_picture-2-2.jpg

Here it is in it's new spot, right between the twins.
mms_picture-1-1.jpg

Finally, the new "family" picture.
mms_picture.jpg

That's the right idea. Throw away the video games, build them their own smoker and take them fishing. Too many kids are missing out on real quality time spent with parents and grandparents.

Awesome story and build.
My oldest son is the one that is always at my side. He's been watching me cook so long, he even knows the lingo. He'll ask, "How's the MOINKs coming along?" or "Dad, did you remember to flip the ribs?". Cracks me up. He'd dig having his own smoker. I'll have to let him play around with the ECB to see how it takes first.

Nice family you got there. Diggin' your UDS cart!:thumb:

Back