Dakkochi (Korean Chicken Skewers)

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
So, there’s an Asian Chicken Appetizer throwdown going on right now. You can check it out here –
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195371
Seemed like a perfect opportunity to make some Dakkochi! Dakkochi is a Korean street food (Skewered chicken cooked over charcoal.) The marinade and sauce are simple, and they’ve got incredible flavor.

The Players – Ginger, Garlic, sesame oil, green onion, sake, soy, pear, and Gochujang. If you aren’t familiar with gochujang, you should get that way. It is phenomenal. It is a fermented Korean condiment made from red chili, glutinous rice, fermented soybeans and salt. Awesome flavor. Most Asian grocers should carry it.

Here is the recipe for the marinade –
1 tablespoon gochujang
½ cup sake
3 cloves garlic (grated)
1 inch ginger (grated)
1/2 small onion (grated)
1/2 Asian or Bartlett pear (grated)
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 bunch green onions (chopped)

Prepped the marinade

I used thighs for this, which is traditionally how its made (with dark meat) I trimmed them up into skewer sized pieces, cleaning up fat etc..

I put that in a ziplock to get happy for a little while and mixed up some sauce. The sauce recipe was as follows
1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
3 tablespoon Sake
1 tablespoon chilli flakes
1 tablespoon gochujang
2 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 tablespoon parsley
You can add more chili flakes and or gochujang if you want it hotter. As it is, my kids complained that it was too hot, but I thought it was just right.

Got the chicken out of their bath and skewered. I patted them as dry as I could with a paper towel, but honestly, as hot a fire as I make, the liquid evaporates pretty quick anyways..

On the grill they go!

The flip and brush

And the final product

Oh man was it good! Thanks for looking!

Those look fantastic Shagdog!
Asian appetizers are one of my favorites... love this!:thumb:

Those look damn tasty....add yours to the list that is gonna make my entry underwhelming!!!!

That is a great cook, nice post too

Thanks! Love those chicken balls you made. This one is going to be fun.

Those look fantastic Shagdog!
Asian appetizers are one of my favorites... love this!:thumb:

Thanks Jeanie! My kids love anything with a handle, so its a good way to get them to try new stuff :thumb:

Those look great! I can't wait to taste mine tomorrow! :thumb:

I'm not coming, Ron...:cry: See the bash thread... However I am sending you some gifts with Chris. BTW, if you want homemade pepperoni on your pizza, bring a knife.

Those look damn tasty....add yours to the list that is gonna make my entry underwhelming!!!!

I doubt that peeps, Your photography gets better throwdown, and.. well, you can certainly cook.

Thanks Guys!

Always wanted to try some skewers but most didn't look really appetizing. This does look great and I've got lots of chicken to practice with.

Always wanted to try some skewers but most didn't look really appetizing. This does look great and I've got lots of chicken to practice with.

Thanks! They are our favorite way to make chicken skewers. Soooo good. Post up your results!

Great, now I have to go to bed trying to decide which one I like better, shags skewer or bobs balls!

:laugh: :laugh:

My mouth is watering! That looks so good! Thanks for sharing! :mad2:
Thanks Bro!

I know next to nothing about asian cooking, which strangely makes that throwdown more attractive to me. :nerd:

One of my ideas was thin strips of marinaded chicken on a stick. Looks like that one has already been done, and done well. :doh:

I need to channel General Tso, but he is in Spain, and days are weeks in his time-space continuum.

CD

Ooh, that is some fantastic photography and cooking...how I would love a dozen of those!
Dawnies Delights Dakkochi can eat her heart out!:wink:

:laugh:

Back