I Got an A$$hole Neighbor

I ended up reorganizing the patio. The smokers are now 1/2 the length of the house away from my neighbor with two side yards, a travel trailer and storage shed in between. I sent the HOA a heads up. I have not heard back from them.

You took the high road and did more than what might be reasonable. If he wants to stay grumpy, there's nothing you can do. Enjoy your smoking and remember it's probably not the smoke that's making him the way he is.

this brought out a blast from the past when i was a youth my best friends grandfather had a greenhouse that had a insinarator well the local authoritys told him it had to go (this city is the best educated ZIPcode in the state of ohio) grandpaw had us collect all the old tires we could find well we road around on our stingray bikes (if that don`t date me) and collected them well my buddys grandfather burnt them right up to the last day he was allowd to operate this was pre. EPA my buddies mom and gradmother where not verry happy

picture.php

https://cowboycauldron.com/

I don't have much experience in neighbor's, but I figured after 6 pages I'd have a go at it.

First off...It's yer fault. Apparently yer approachable and that's why yer in this mess. I don't wish ta give offense, but for some random ta approach ya about cooking with fire and smoke, it's quite obvious he took ya fer Mr. F'ing Congeniality. I of course understand and I'm sympathetic...Who fires up their cooker and expects ta hear criticism and complaint?? And better, who stays up all night thinking about giving it??....that bastard next door, that's who.
Yer in a sort of "battle" here. And yer already on the defensive...why? Ya moved yer cookers...yer being accommodating, gregarious, a fine man....that next door chit heel is having a time of it, I'd wager!!!

Now look, yer accommodations...though admirable...are affecting yer smoke and meat infused pleasantries, they're not without blemish...because that old git is running amok in it! Forever tainted...

Like most battles not military in nature...yer evenly matched, which is poor planning. It's best ta tip the scales now.
If I understand correctly and I'm continuing under the assumption I am....it's ya and yer wife vs he and his. And this is the only neighbor that's frantic on yer porch Everytime the smoke starts? No third party taking their part?
....Then its clear what yer options are fer a win.
You are a accommodating, friendly, all around "nice guy" judging by yer actions...attractive quality's, I'm sure.
Yer neighbor is a nosey, no account f'ing eejit...not so attractive...I'd wager it's not as harmonious as it looks in public.
Ya will have ta befriend the wife...Ya have by yer own actions, desirable characteristics. And by yer earlier comments, I believe fer a smashing win you and...er "big boiler" will have ta take a hit fer the team... possibly multiple hits.

-D

Last edited:
Sometimes, being a nice person isn't the best approach. I get it, I don't like being an a'hole either. I had a neighbor complain about me parking my car in front of my house. Of course, no one else ever complained to me or the other people who parked cars similarly. The thing was, I got home at a normal hour and left at a normal start to the day which meshed well with the a'holes daily ritual.

The thing was, he never complained about the 2-ton service truck that parked in another neighbor's driveway dripping mud and oil all over the place. Part of the difference was the time this hard working fellow got home and left each morning and, part of it was the intimidation and general gnarly demeanor he took with the busy body that continued to harass me.

After I moved away, I learned he turned in another neighbor for washing his car in the driveway and letting the soapy water run down the street to the drain. Oh, the environmental damage! When the ruler and camera came out to measure grass height for the city and to harass some other neighbors, I became somewhat concerned an ambulance and police might be needed.

Starting with the carrot is always the best approach but, sometimes you need the stick! Or at least a convincing threat of a BIG STICK!

All that being said, I hope a simple re-arrangement of your patio puts this whole issue to rest or, as in my case that they move away and the lady that moves in next door will ask you, just like me, if her wind chime disturbs you!

My A$$hole neighbor likes blowing smoke, problem is that it’s him burning huge bonfires of leaves and assorted wood debris in his backyard, usually when we haven’t had rain in two plus months and the city is under a burn ban. (Residential neighborhood) Even though he’s more than an acre away, I still get a light coat of ashes drifting into my swimming pool. I love the smell but don’t want to see my yard on fire!

I ended up reorganizing the patio. The smokers are now 1/2 the length of the house away from my neighbor with two side yards, a travel trailer and storage shed in between. I sent the HOA a heads up. I have not heard back from them.

Friday I am hosting a small birthday party. I am thinking carne asada tacos and maybe Al Pastor. I am not sure yet. Either way, I am going to fire up a smoker and the green egg to grill.

As I rearranged the patio my patience waned. My a$$hole neighbor just lost all good cheer from me.

By the way, the Mighty Mighty Bruins are on TV tonight. Got to like that Perfection Line!

Just in case, write everything down ,times and dates.
It can prove you are trying to be obliging.
maybe keep a log on when your not home for a month or so

After reading all the pages, I believe your neighbor is not really the problem. He's just the messenger. More than likely it's his wife that is doing the complaining and making sure that she stays in the background by sending him out to do the complaining to people for her.

Just a guess, but that would also explain why he's so hard to deal with. Because your not really dealing with the true complainer.

Hoss, are you a real estate agent? I'm an agent and live in a rapidly developing area (my hometown) that was once farm country. Your post was well said and does a good job of explaining the dilemma.

I don't prefer the growth even though I make a living from it. My neighbor has around 100 ac across the road from me. I enjoy looking out the window and seeing deer, turkey, farm crops, etc. I have enjoyed the view for free for 22 years. When he decides to sell though he has a right to sell for the land's highest and best use that adheres to county zoning requirements..... which will be a housing subdivision. While I can't afford to pay development prices for the land and buy it, he has the right to sell it to someone who can.

As a matter of fact I am a RE Broker.I also own some farmland/ pasture and my family's old homestead.Thanks for your reply and I totally agree.I find myself in your same situation. I can control what I own but cannot afford to purchase the other for the price it brings just to keep it "country".So now it will be neighbor kids on four wheelers,trespassers hunting because they think they are entitled,etc.One upside is most of the developments going in are large lots.The ironic part is that when and if I decide to develop mine and move somewhere less crowded the very ones buying a lot in a development now will be the ones screaming the loudest against me developing mine.

I don't have much experience in neighbor's, but I figured after 6 pages I'd have a go at it.

First off...It's yer fault. Apparently yer approachable and that's why yer in this mess. I don't wish ta give offense, but for some random ta approach ya about cooking with fire and smoke, it's quite obvious he took ya fer Mr. F'ing Congeniality. I of course understand and I'm sympathetic...Who fires up their cooker and expects ta hear criticism and complaint?? And better, who stays up all night thinking about giving it??....that bastard next door, that's who.
Yer in a sort of "battle" here. And yer already on the defensive...why? Ya moved yer cookers...yer being accommodating, gregarious, a fine man....that next door chit heel is having a time of it, I'd wager!!!

Now look, yer accommodations...though admirable...are affecting yer smoke and meat infused pleasantries, they're not without blemish...because that old git is running amok in it! Forever tainted...

Like most battles not military in nature...yer evenly matched, which is poor planning. It's best ta tip the scales now.
If I understand correctly and I'm continuing under the assumption I am....it's ya and yer wife vs he and his. And this is the only neighbor that's frantic on yer porch Everytime the smoke starts? No third party taking their part?
....Then its clear what yer options are fer a win.
You are a accommodating, friendly, all around "nice guy" judging by yer actions...attractive quality's, I'm sure.
Yer neighbor is a nosey, no account f'ing eejit...not so attractive...I'd wager it's not as harmonious as it looks in public.
Ya will have ta befriend the wife...Ya have by yer own actions, desirable characteristics. And by yer earlier comments, I believe fer a smashing win you and...er "big boiler" will have ta take a hit fer the team... possibly multiple hits.

-D

That right there is GOLD. If I was 1/2 that funny I'd join audition for stand up.:laugh:

It sounds to me you have done more than enough.

Now you can just ignore the bastard.

So I woke up today pissed off all over again. I put my smokers back in their original place and tonight I lit up the egg, got some smoke rolling and Q'd up some carne asada. I hope the a$$hole smelled the smoke and grilled meat.

Thinking of getting another stick burner now. LOL

Have a good weekend everyone!

So I woke up today pissed off all over again. I put my smokers back in their original place and tonight I lit up the egg, got some smoke rolling and Q'd up some carne asada. I hope the a$$hole smelled the smoke and grilled meat.

Thinking of getting another stick burner now. LOL

Have a good weekend everyone!

Thats the Spirit:thumb:

Back