Pork In The Park Salisbury MD. NO charcoal?

trohrs123

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hi
Anybody have any idea about this ( direct quote from this contests' web page) "The BBQ competition decisions lie in the hands of the KCBS certified professional judges. Judging is done in many categories including whole hog, beef, chicken, pork, ribs, anything butt and a special dessert category. All competition elements must be cooked over a wood fire- no charcoal or gas allowed!" (Bold emphasis by me)
Or is this a misprint?

I heard it true so maybe you guys should come and do williepallooza where charcoal is acceptable :biggrin:

wow.. no WSM's. backwwoods, stumps, spicewines, etc..?

Thats gotta be a misprint.

I have had several calls and emails regarding that we have a typo in our paper work. Please note that KCBS Rule #6 states that fires may be of wood, wood pellets or charcoal. Gas and electric heat sources shall not be permitted for cooking or holding. Propane or electric is permitted as fire starters provided that the competition meat is not in/on the cooking device. Electrical accessories such as spits, augers, or forced draft are permitted
This is particularly true for the mandatory KCBS categories, i.e., chicken, ribs, pork, brisket.
I have attached the KCBS rules for 2009. <<...>>
Sandy Fulton
Tourism Manager

That would be crazy even though most people dont use charcoal anymore

Looking foward to maryland first contest this year for me.

Back