Using minion method on UDS with chimney

ClintHTX

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
How full should I load the chimney before lighting it? Also, should I let the fire go out in the chimney? Or leave the fire lit charcoal and toss them in.

I would light no more than half a weber chimney and then give it about an hour before I put the meat on.

Light 20 briquettes to get your UDS to about 250* and 40 briquettes to get temp up to 350*, I always use briquettes to start the chimney and dump in the center of lump or stubbs. And let the coals grey over before dumping them in your charcoal basket good luck :thumb:

Last edited:
I just load the basket and dump 7 fully lit coals on top. Then I have all the air intakes open. When it gets close to the temp needed I start closing off the air intakes. When done smoking I just close off all the vents to put out the coals. Works like a charm.

I just load the basket and dump 7 fully lit coals on top. Then I have all the air intakes open. When it gets close to the temp needed I start closing off the air intakes. When done smoking I just close off all the vents to put out the coals. Works like a charm.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I use 1/2 to 3/4 of a chimney of Kingsford Blue. I dump it on top of the unlit charcoal. I'm too impatient for 7 coals. But, that's just me. :rofl:

I think every UDS operates differently. 7 lit coals works for some and 1/2 chimney of lit coals works for others. You'll eventually find out what combination works best for your UDS.

Weed burner lighting mod :thumb: Zero to cooking in under 15 minutes.

Thanks guys. Thinking I need to open all my intakes. Been opening 1 1/2 intakes pretty hard to get the fire up! Makes since now though. Thanks.

All I know is I keep a Jack Daniels bottle filled with bacon grease by my drum kart, I use that to soak papertowels to light my chimney, sometime I'll even douse some on the coals in the chimney,...so ....my chimney fires even smell de-liscous!!
try it!

Get a Harbor Freight weed torch- It's what Mr Minion uses!

Save your weed torch money to buy a Weber Performer. That's what I use to light my chimney. Just turn the knob and push the red button.

Save your weed torch money to buy a Weber Performer. That's what I use to light my chimney. Just turn the knob and push the red button.

How do you light the top only for a Minion cook with the Performer lighting system?

Set your chimney full of charcoal on the performer gas lighter.
The performer has a gas, charcoal lighting system.

Ohhh, I misunderstood your comment. I didn't realize a chimney was involved. I have a Performer, by the way.

The only time I use paper to light the chimney is when the performer is already being used for grilling.

Thats what I do most of the time.

IMG00839-20111008-1625.jpg

Back