• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Saucing Brisket

McEvoy AZ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just wandering who uses BBQ sauce in some way on their competition Brisket? It seems when you ask most BBQ people will tell you they just use the dripping from the foil, but I just don't think as far as comps go it is really true. It seems to me that cooking BBQ to perfect tenderness and layering flavor profiles wins, so saucing to some extent would make sense.

I use the Au Jou for the slices. Use a grease strainer, so your using only the juices, none of the grease. I do however sauce the burnt ends. I sauce them prior to putting them back on the cooker. The sauce sets up. Then burnt ends get a bit stick. Ohh so good.

Years ago no one sauced their brisket turn ins, now it is probably about 50 to 60% sauced. I just hope the teams don't start saucing brisket as heavily as chicken & ribs are sauced. :pray:

Definitely sauce on the burnt ends, and a little bit of sauce mixed in with the drippings to give it a little kick.

I dip my brisket in au jus and then put a very light coat of sauce on. Just enough to add a little flavor and enhance the brisket but not enough to take away from the taste of the meat...if that makes sense. When I am doing it, we are pretty consistent with getting calls.

There might possibly be a showing from a light sauce on my brisket this weekend. We will see how it goes. ive seen good teams do it both ways.. just nail it whichever way you decide

It seems I hear Head Country thrown around as a sauce that compliments brisket. I know most people say not to sweet. When using sauce what do I look for in a sauce. Like I said I heard Head country and I have tried a think vinegar sauce I made. It seems like the consistency plays a roll in what sauce you might try, as the thicker Head Country seemed to give a better look and feel of moisture. That is spread over the slice with a very thin coat.

Take your finger and smear a little on the back of each slice.

TWSS :wink:

Take your finger and smear a little on the back of each slice.

TWSS :wink:

That is what I am thinking, use just the slightest bit almost so you cant even tell and it seems to make a huge difference.

Back