Chips burning instead of smoking?

DavidEHickey

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well I know I need a good off set smoker or WSM or UDS but for now all I have is the gas smoker. Been having a problem with the wood chips just catching on fire and not smoldering very well. I always soak them but that does not seem to help. Once they dry out they light up. Basically have two sliding drawers that you pull out and fill about 18" long by 2.5" wide and an inch high. Anyone have any ideas on how to get the wood smoking better? Was thinking about laying a plate about the length and width on top of the wood. Might keep it from getting enough oxygen to catch fire. I usually don't have the problem if I use large chunks instead of chips. Just not easy to find Chunk smoker wood in my area other than Mesquite or Hickory.
David

What kind of cooker are you using? Pics would help

What about putting the wood chips in a foil packet and poking a few holes in the top?

Heres the smoker, you can see the two pull out trays below the door. They sit above the burners and get too hot to smolder correctly. Like I said not much of a problem if you have chunks and not chips.

Attachments

• BBB1.jpg
    BBB1.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 114
  • jerk2.jpg
    jerk2.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 111
I don't know but I want your smoker.

Howdy David.
I don't think wood should smolder and smoke heavily. In my experiences you don't need to see smoke to taste it on your food. Clean burning wood is better than smoldering wood any day in my world. I vote for letting them burn! If you are using chips you might need to add them periodically, or spread them through your coals so they burn as the fire moves it's way through.
Just some mornin' thoughts! Happy smokin.
Chris

Smoke bomb or get some chunks!

Nature boy is right, add a load of the chips, a thick layer, let them burn and at the end you will have the coals offering heat and some flavor. I have the same drawer in my DCS.. the chips ignite immediately and then burn down. What i do is fold a piece of foil over itself 5-6 times to make a heavy strip that fits in the smoke drawer. I let the chips ignite and then justt lay the strip on top. Not airtight, it allows them to burn, but stops them from igniting completely and turning to ash.

My suggestion is to just switch to chunks. You'll never look back. Then only use the chips when grilling to add a little flavor or kick up the heat.

Back