View Single Post
Old 11-30-2006, 11:01 PM   #12
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

When I first got my smoker, I knew I needed to season it. I read all the threads here on the site and then here's what I did.

I went to the grocery store and bought two pounds of lard. I eventually found that I only needed one of them.

I started out by rubbing the block of lard all over the inside of the cooker. It was warm enough and the smoker was in the sun, so the lard melted easily. I even coated the firebox (although in hind sight I don't know that it did any good.)

I then started a fire in the firebox without anything in the smoker in order to get it really hot, then I started rubbing the hot smoker all over the outside with the lard.

I kept the fire going for several hours. Eventually the white decals turned yellowish and the surface of the smoker started getting tacky. I then applied another coating of lard - then I let the fire go out and the smoker cool.

Pay close attention to the hinges and seams - and I agree - the MOST important thing you can do to prolong the life of any object that lives outdoors is to cover it.

For what it's worth . . . ENJOY IT!

/Brother Dave
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote