logo

?? for those that cook with Green Wood

AlabamaGrillBillies

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've always ran nothing but seasoned woods in my large offset smoker.

I've recently came into a large amount freshly cut Cherry wood. I know some folks cook with fresh cut fruit woods. I'd love to hear from those that use green wood in their cooking to see how they do it and what their results have been. While I let the majority of this cherry wood season i'm going to try and experiment with a little green wood cooking, thanks for any tips and tricks you can throw my way.

I've only used green wood (other than fruit) a few times and was not very pleased. More smoke and filled my cooker with soot. The meat tasted fine, not much difference than seasoned wood maybe a touch bit of bitter. It was just the smell and the soot. I may try it again but it will only be after my seasoned supply runs out.

I do however use green fruit woods (peach and apple) regular and have had good luck. I actually prefer the flavor over the seasoned fruits. A lot of people say that they can't tell the difference so maybe it's just me knowing that it's green.

I tried adding green wood one time. The food and cooker had soot deposits leaving the meat with a bitter taste.

I use green apple wood from time to time, but I prefer it seasoned. What I do is get charcoal nice and hot and then put the wood on top and let it get going for a while, that way the soot is gone before putting on the meat.

Cherry would be the last wood I would use green-it has a really bitter, unpleasant nasty smell from the hydrocyanic acid in the bark. I like cherry to be well-seasoned.

I have never used green fruit wood.
Green hickory is what I use (when I can find it), but it does take a toll on the smoker.

Green hickory is what I use (when I can find it), but it does take a toll on the smoker.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you use green and not seasoned? Have heard of people doing this, but not sure of the reason.

Myron Mixon uses green Peach wood everytime he cooks... i have used green apple with great results in an offset... the key is warming it up before you throw it in the firebox.. warming it up helps get some of the moisture out.. and helps it combust faster..

Back