Rotisserie Smoker Question

B

bkillam

I found what would appear to be a great deal on a rotisserie smoker. It's the base model, backyard version from Heartland (the 2430). I currently use a Horizon offset smoker – also their base model.

The Heartland model has a larger cooking capacity and four rotating shelves. I like that. I also like the idea of the rotisserie to avoid hotspots, which my Horizon has always suffered from.

The uncertainty comes in three major areas:

(1) I don't know how significantly different/better a rotisserie smoker is (it seems to be a better idea). And I don't know if this one is good due to the placement of the firebox to the food chamber. (it looks like it could produce a significant hot spot, but the rotaries feature should alleviate that.)

(2) The Horizon smoker is all 1/4 inch steel throughout whereas the heartland model is 3/16 inch steel in the food chamber and the firebox is 1/8". (I can cook in either chamber of my Horizon.)

(3) I don't know Heartland and can't find our too much about them (reviews, reliability, etc).

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
http://www.heartlandcookers.com/sit...cookers.com/Leg___Stand_Model_Cooker.php#2756

After looking at the picture, the set up for the firebox is just like a Good One. They have the firebox that runs across the whole cooking chamber. Yes, there will be a hot spot along the back, but with the rotisserie, you won't have to worry about it. As for cooking in the winter, if you have problems, you can put a welding blanket over it to keep the heat in.

And you can get a Convection Plate
The 16" drop-in Convection Plate fits all 16" Horizon smokers. It is made from 1/4" thick plate steel and eliminates "Hot Spots" during the slow smoking process.
PRICE: $45.00

I have the convection plate, but there is still a significant temp difference between ends of the cooking chamber.

At the cost I'm looking at, I could easily sell my Horizon and make it a zero sum gain. Does anyone see this as a significant improvement over the Horizon? I do get great ribs, brisket, and pulled pork from my Horizon, but I do ribs at one end and pork/brisket at the other.

At the cost I'm looking at, I could easily sell my Horizon and make it a zero sum gain. Does anyone see this as a significant improvement over the Horizon? I do get great ribs, brisket, and pulled pork from my Horizon, but I do ribs at one end and pork/brisket at the other.

I think it would be an improvement. You would not have to move anything during a cook and I believe you can get a longer burn time on fuel with the firebox on the Heartland. If you do get the Heartland, I can help you with fire management, as the firebox is just like a Good One.

There is one draw back I just came to mind. You will not be able to use a thermometer in your meat, the wire will get tangled.

Back