• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Bark on fuel

C

capnamerca

I *know* that this topic has been discussed here. I promise that I searched the forums before I ask this - I found some peripheral discussions, but nothing directly on point. So here I ask again.

I'm attempting to move from charcoal to real wood for the fuel in my smoker. Academy is selling 10-lb bags of wood for a pretty decent price. However, most of the pieces have most of the bark left on them. I've heard that bark produces a "bitter' taste in 'Q, but other threads on here have minimized the input on bark on the overall flavor. The goal is to burn a mild wood, like oak, for heat, and use another wood for flavor - the current fav is Pecan, but I also really want to try apple.

So, can someone educate me on the effects of bark on heat, fire, and flavor?

Side question - I used aluminum bands to strengthen my firegrate. Any worries with aluminum?

Thx.

capnamerca, you have to be sure that you strip the bark off of the tin foil before you use it.:mrgreen:

I use mainly charcoal and chunks. I buy bags of wood chunks and they have some bark on. I don't remove bark. When I use logs I don't remove bark. I haven't noticed any off flavors, but I've never cooked with no bark. FWIW

I buy some of my smoking wood at a place that has been around for many years. They claim they have alot of customers that ask for extra loose bark to be included in their cord purchase as they prefer it for smoking.

:confused: :?:

I use mesquite. I Always make sure bark is removed or burned off before adding meat. Heavy soot and resins emit from the bark. JMO

If bark comes off easy, I take it off. If it hasn't slipped yet, I leave it on. I don't think you'd want to cook with pure bark, but some bark on good sticks of wood isn't going to hurt the flavor of anything.

Using apple with oak, you're probably not going to taste the apple much, as it's much mellower than the oak.

Nice to hear what I'm hearing. I really like those bags o' wood, since that's my easiest method to get at it. I'll pull off the bark if I can, and won't if I can't.

As for the oak and apple thoughts - is oak a good wood for heat? If my primary flavor wood is pecan (just smells fantastic to me), is oak a good choice? What would a good heat choice be to flavor with apple? Lump charcoal, maybe?

The apple won't leave you short on BTU's, it'll provide enough heat on it's own. Where you may run into trouble, is eventually it (or any other wood) may leave you with inadequate coalbed to cleanly ignite the next stick of wood. At that time you need to just add some pre-lit briq or lump charcoal (either is fine).

i use mesquite and oak and have never pulled the bark of any of it, and ive yet to have any complaints on my cooking.. lol. u usually just buy a rick of mesquite for the summer and use what i have left over the oak from the winter time. I love pecan to though. cant find any apple or cherry here, would like to know how ribs would taste with it.

I have been using hickory and white oak. If the bark falls off I leave it off, other wise I burn it. Haven't noticed any side effects at all.

Apple has very thin bark. You would have to whittle it off! Apple and Cherry are my main cooking woods because they are abundant in this area being the heart of the Michigan fruit belt. If it was readily available, I would use pecan.

WOW - This is a rare event; almost universal consensus. I think celebration is in order.

I can swear I read of a place in North Carolina that cooked over only hickory bark, but can't find the name of it now....

Of course you want to take a look at the bark and make sure it looks ok. You don't want to be throwing wood in the fire that has remnants of ivy or any other growth on it.

One clarification.....Oak is NOT considered a "mild" wood. A combination of oak and pecan will work, but both are actually very similar in my opinion. Great on brisket! IMHO, the only real "mild" woods are maple and fruitwoods. Hickory, oak, pecan, and mesquite are the "strong" end of the spectrum.
As for bark, as long as it is dry, it makes no difference. I am in agreement with everyone else. If it falls off, throw it out. If not, don't sweat it

10 lb? I've seen bags that are closer to 40-50 lbs. You usually have several choices. Oak, hickory, pecan, and mesquite. Mix and match and let the experiments begin.

capnamerca said:
I *know* that this topic has been discussed here. I promise that I searched the forums before I ask this - I found some peripheral discussions, but nothing directly on point. So here I ask again.

I'm attempting to move from charcoal to real wood for the fuel in my smoker. Academy is selling 10-lb bags of wood for a pretty decent price. However, most of the pieces have most of the bark left on them. I've heard that bark produces a "bitter' taste in 'Q, but other threads on here have minimized the input on bark on the overall flavor. The goal is to burn a mild wood, like oak, for heat, and use another wood for flavor - the current fav is Pecan, but I also really want to try apple.

So, can someone educate me on the effects of bark on heat, fire, and flavor?

Side question - I used aluminum bands to strengthen my firegrate. Any worries with aluminum?

Thx.

i doubt anyone knows but it there a place to get good wood in socal?

i doubt anyone knows but it there a place to get good wood in socal?

In my honest opinion your best bet is to either A. Go and check out your local Academy.
Option B is to browse through your local Craigslist, and find a reputable seller of wood.
Down in the Houston area of Texas there's about six guys total I can get pecan/oak/mesquite from quite easily, and for dirt cheap.

As far as the bark goes, I also agree, if it's loose rip it off, for the most part I always pre heat my logs on the firebox, if they start to ignite and I don't need them I pat out the flames then toss em ontop of the cooking chamber, I've always found it gets rid of most of the "nasties" from the wood in this way, by the time it's in there it starts off "true blue."

Like Neal said, I never remove bark from fruitwoods I use apple, (peach, cherry, apricot, pear) as the skin is thin and it is impossible to remove. I will remove bark from hardwoods if it is easy but I'm not religious about it. Slightly off topic, I just busted open some "hickory" chunks from home depot and it was as light as dry fir and when I threw it on the fire it was definitely not hickory. I have three cords of pecan and plenty of fruitwood but I need some good hickory!

Back