• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Aaron Franklin:Ribs Part 1

No they aren't. I've tried his ribs several times and found them to be over cooked and the flavor just OK. Brisket is definitely his specialty.

Yeah, I have to agree. My notes from my visit had some interesting phrases to describe Franklin Barbecue's ribs that I won't post. But, I wasn't impressed by most of the pork ribs I had in central Texas with the exception of Snow's BBQ ribs. Those ribs were pretty tasty because of the way they cook them.

Snow's BBQ cooks their ribs directly over coals which is much more of a Southeastern style so that may explain why I liked them the best.

I just like the way he cooks. I could hang out with him and cook. He has that, "fark the rules, this is how I do it" kind of attitude that is very compatible with my style of cooking.

I also like his measuring technique. "I'm gonna' use about this much pepper." I do that, too. I can't tell you how many times people have asked me for a recipe for some of my regular cooks, and I have to tell them I don't have one. Some people don't believe me.

CD

I use this method for almost everything I cook. My sister-in-law hates it because she will ask "how do you make your..." When I can't say a tsp of this and 1/4 cup of that it drives her nuts.

He did what is called a Modified Kansas City cut, that means no flap or skirt, no breast bone. The tips are left on. He mentioned that.

The St. Louis cut removes all of the breast bone and the tips. So there are no pin bones or cartilage left on the rack. St. Louis cuts also typically square off the ends on the small end leaving 8 to 10 bones per rack.

wife bought some spare ribs for my cook....label said St Louis cut...but when I cooked them the bones were only about an inch or two long and I had a full 6 inches of cartlidge tips instead. To me it sounded like the cutter tried to cut the spares in half to get both sold as st louis spares and I got the lower half and someone else got the uppers. what do you think?

I think someone screwed up and sent the screw up through so he didn't get yelled at.

wife bought some spare ribs for my cook....label said St Louis cut...but when I cooked them the bones were only about an inch or two long and I had a full 6 inches of cartlidge tips instead. To me it sounded like the cutter tried to cut the spares in half to get both sold as st louis spares and I got the lower half and someone else got the uppers. what do you think?

I ran into the same thing here on superbowl sunday. Got them from Food Lion.

Simplicity at it's best. No $1000 cooker, no tools, no duel probe thermometers. no secret 20 ingredient rub, no experimental sauce, and no bull chit. Not exactly the way I do it but his technique is good. KISS

He had some silver paint left over from painting the wheels on his Farmall tractor. Simplicity and thrifty.

why is he using silver painted butcher paper?

I believe he's been hanging with Myron to long.

2 hrs. sauce and cook 30 minutes. wrap with sauce and 2 more hours?

I honestly believe this recipe was designed just for this video.

Stop wrapping and spraying your ribs.

Simplicity at it's best. No $1000 cooker, no tools, no duel probe thermometers. no secret 20 ingredient rub, no experimental sauce, and no bull chit. Not exactly the way I do it but his technique is good. KISS

That smoker is over $1000. I'm guessing they, Old Country, have sold a few just from his videos.

Ya"ll didn't know Mr. ButcherPaper used foil with his ribs, they fall apart just like all over cooked ribs.

Exhibit a
20121025_131328.jpg

Back