Clam Chowder

Big Mike

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
It is a bit chilly up here in Ohio and I like Clam Chowder so I decided to try my hand at making some for dinner this evening. I thought it was pretty dang good for my first try at it.

I diced up a medium sized onion, sliced up some bacon and threw that in the pot with some salt, pepper, garlic, thyme and a bay leaf and sauteed that until the onions were ready. I added a few TBSP of flour at this point and stirred it in for a couple minutes.

Then I added 2 cups of clam juice (reserved from the 3 cans of clams) and some diced potatoes. I Cooked that until the potatoes were almost done then added 2 cups of half and half and three cans of clams (I know, that is cheating), a few shots of Franks Red Hot, a couple TBSP of butter and a dash of worcestershire. Then let it simmer for another 10-15 minutes.

While the chowder was simmering I put a multigrain batard in the oven. It was ready when the chowder was done.

Here is the finished product.

DSCF0267_zps9dd3258e.jpg

Looks comforting.I LOVE some clam chowder.I saw a cooking show today where they made smoked eel chowder.:twitch:

Looks comforting.I LOVE some clam chowder.I saw a cooking show today where they made smoked eel chowder.:twitch:

I don't know about eel now. I'd probably have to be pretty hungry.

I'd love to try it, CC is hit or miss with me, though.

And a slight derail: had eel sushi the other day, was pretty good.

Looks like a great way to get warmed up in the winter!!! Thanks for the recipe!!! I'd eat that in the summer too!!

I also love a good clam chowder. I've never made it, so I can't offer any critique. It sure looks good in the pr0n, and from the description, it sounds good.

You definitely have to have some good, crusty bread with chowder -- especially to sop up the broth at the bottom of the bowl. That may be the best part.

CD

Nice! I also start with bacon - usually a whole 12 oz package - (Fry it first then remove from grease) and add a couple or three stalks of chopped celery to the onions too, brown the taters a wee bit in the grease then start my roux. I cheat and use the canned clams too. Oh, and eel is just a fish y'all. Good eats.

Back