• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cast Iron Renovation

Smoothsmoke

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
My mom has had an old CI griddle in her back patio for years. I'm guessing at least 5 years. I thought it was always junk. But now I know that CI can be renovated. Heres my shot at fixing up the old griddle.

I scrubbed it with salt. Got some of the rust off. Still had a bunch of rust, so I used oven cleaner. Sprayed both sides and put it in a bag overnight. The next day I rinsed it and scrubbed it down with 000 steel wool and managed to get everything off...even the paint! Took a lot of work but well worth it.

DSCN5944.jpg

DSCN5946.jpg

DSCN5947.jpg

DSCN5954.jpg

DSCN5958.jpg

DSCN5963.jpg

Now I'm wanting more junk!! :becky:

I can't imagine life without my cast iron (10 pieces) just breathed life into an antique 14", 4" deep frying pan. Just used it for my morning bacon and eggs for a month and spent about 3 minutes each morning with a 1/2 c. of coarse salt and a couple paper towels. It passes the over medium test with ease now.

Thirdeye,
After a cook like that(which looks wonderful), what is the best way to clean and maintain the cast iron?
Smoothsmoke,
What are you going to use the cast iron griddle for? Inside or exterior cooking?
Thanks,
jon

Thirdeye,
After a cook like that(which looks wonderful), what is the best way to clean and maintain the cast iron?
Smoothsmoke,
What are you going to use the cast iron griddle for? Inside or exterior cooking?
Thanks,
jon

DSC08605a.jpg

Clean-up after cooking fish or steaks is not that bad if your cast iron is seasoned. When cooking over fire you will get some smoke on the underside. On the cooking side, I use a Lodge bristle brush and hot water to remove any particles, then wipe down with a paper towel and a few drops of oil. On the bottom I just use an oiled paper towel to remove smoke residue.

I have a small one with a bail I use on my BGE, another bail model that is dedicated for the stove and a larger one that I'll use on both. The nice thing about cast iron is that you don't really need a hot fire to cook on...

DSC01563ra.jpg

I have a square Lodge griddle that is flat on one side and ribbed on the other, and I either use my wok ring when using it, or just set it on the regular cooking grate.

DSC04753a.jpg

DSC04886g.jpg

You're the man 3rdeye!

Jon, I'll be using it for both. Probably for bacon and eggs, fajitas. Indoors and out. I have a bunch of CI stuff, but this is the first rehab that I've ever done.

Back