• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

? jalapeños favor without the heat?

I've grown mild jalepenos before. Not hot at all.

If you're making mac and cheese, put the whole jalepeno into the milk, then heat on the stove to a simmer. Allow the milk to sit at a simmer/just under a simmer for ~10 minutes. Remove the jalepeno, being careful not to puncture it. Ta Da....jalepeno flavor without the heat. I have used this method with habaneros in other recipes with good results

You might look to see if you can find these in your local supermarket: http://www.mezzetta.com/product/10106129.html
Deli-Sliced-Tamed-Jalapeño-Peppers_lg.png

I don't have any problem (usually) with the heat of Jalapeños, but one time a buddy of mine handed me a home grown garden fresh Jalapeño and sorta dared me me to eat it. Of course he did it in front of witnesses, so I ate it trying to act like it was no big deal and keep from choking and tearing up. I found out afterward he got the seeds from a Texas A&M test garden. I'm sure I sort of looked like

Attachments

• storm.jpg
    storm.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 37
you can try different jalepenos,they are not all at the same heat level,not sure why but i have been growing jalepenos,and other chili peppers for several years and have never been able to get them all to be hot.I like them hot,actually i like habenaros better because they are usually hotter but again it is not always the case.The other way to lessen the heat,or at least cut it on the palate is to use cheese,just like milk something about the dairy cuts the heat of the pepper.I have found that parmesan is very good at this as is any sharp cheddar.

you can try different jalepenos,they are not all at the same heat level,not sure why but i have been growing jalepenos,and other chili peppers for several years and have never been able to get them all to be hot.I like them hot,actually i like habenaros better because they are usually hotter but again it is not always the case.The other way to lessen the heat,or at least cut it on the palate is to use cheese,just like milk something about the dairy cuts the heat of the pepper.I have found that parmesan is very good at this as is any sharp cheddar.

This year my peppers were very small and not hot at all, I have to wonder if it was due to our high heat this summer, although I have always heard hot and dry climates will produce hot peppers.
Dave

I found out afterward he got the seeds from a Texas A&M test garden. I'm sure I sort of looked like

I grow TAM jalepeños. They can be really hot. But like i already said, the fluctuate. The amin advantage to the TAM japs is that they are very tolerant of whether changes. They are great here in Dallas. I get a lot of peppers from them with very little work, as long as whether conditions are not too extreme.

One of TAM's test gardens is about 15 miles from my house.

CD

Funny to see peeps trying to make Japs cooler. I've been looking for hotter ones actually. Seems a lot of the ones on the market up here as well as out West have gotten milder and larger.

Call me crazy but I expect some heat from a Jalapeno. Otherwise I'd be not eating a Jap. Go stuff a friggen' Anaheim already!

Removing the seeds and veins (membranes) kills enough of the heat for my family.
However, the capsaisin (hot chemical compound) in chiles is alcohol-soluble, so perhaps
soaking them in cheap vodka would tame them significantly. I've never tried it, but
chemically it should work.

John

My buddy grows his own, guts them, quarters them then pickles them (boils in water/vinegar/sugar mixture, then cans them in glass jars). These babies have great flavor and very little heat. I like to butterfly my deer backstrap and put one of these inside before grilling, damn good stuff....

Back