UDS Fuel

What do you Burn in Your UDS

• Total voters

Igotgas

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am just getting into cooking on my Mini UDS and I wanted to know what everyone uses in their basket

Well, I can't vote... I fill the basket 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up with briquettes and then top it off with lump & wood. Cheers!!!

Im only on my fourth cook in my UDS and Ive been using kingsford and apple woods chunks. Ill put some briquets down in the basket then some wood chunks, a lil more briquets and then start about 20 briquets in my chimney and throw those on top. Its been working good for me so far! Ill be tryin some lump pretty soon.

I like to load it up with lump with cherry chunks mixed throughout. Sometimes I throw a few chunks of hickory in also. It seems to me that briquets leave a lot more ash than lump.

Briquettes do typically leave more ash than lump, depending on the briquettes you're using.

Lump is just wood, briquettes are a "medley" stuck together with binders, and those binders leave extra ash behind. Better the briquette, the less ash you'll see typically.

I like to keep both Royal Oak lump and Stubbs briquettes on hand. Sometimes I use just lump, sometimes a mix between the two.

I use wood chunks for pork and beef. But when I do chicken, I just use straight Royal Oak lump and no chunks.

I use only lump in my UDS(with apple wood chunks for flavor). I have found that lump gives less ash and burns cleaner than briquettes. My fire basket is 14 inches in diameter, and 12 inches deep. I usually load it about 9-10 inches deep, and have gotten as much as 16 hours of cooking time. On the other hand, I prefer briquettes for grilling because of better temperature control on the grill. Just sayin' my .02 cents worth. :grin:

I've only cooked on my UDS 4 or 5 times. I dumped a 20 Lb bag of Kingsford charcoal and about a dozen chunks of hickory all over in there and haven't put a dent in it with at least 30 hours of smoking. Thanks for the advice though, next time I'll go with lump.

My UDS is my bi*ch cooker. I toss pretty much whatever I can find and it just burns it and keeps on chugging. I've used just about every type of charcoal out there, and while some perform better/leave less ash than others, they all give me enough Q time for anything I've put on there.

If I want high heat or finess, I use my egg. For everything else, it's the drum.

Lump is what you want to use, I started with briquettes but have moved on to oak lump. Some people like the taste of all the binders in kingsford and will tell you lighter fluid will burn off and you wont taste it, don't believe in unicorns they don't exist. Let lump ash over in a chimney starter before you dump it on unlit lump basket, lump has a better flavor and burns long expescially oak. I just close off all my valves and re use my leftover lump all the time in my drum.

Sent from my SGH-T999

I have used mostly lump, played a bit with Briq but nothing like a Brisket or anything like that yet with Briq.

Back