View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Default First cook with cherry wood. Hot and fast pork shoulder.

Yesterday I posted about how I finally got my hands on some cherry wood. Today I did a hot and fast pork shoulder with it. I trimmed most of the fat cap and cut slits in what was left. I held the temp easily between 300-325 in my chargriller akorn. I also threw a piece of pecan in with the cherry. I gave the shoulder a bath in SM sweet and spicy and it cooked for about 4.5 hours until it probed tender right around 200 internal temp. I then took it out and wrapped it in foil and rested it in an empty ice chest for about an hour. When I got it out it was perfectly tender and very moist. It had a great charred crust, which I love. Me and mini me ate some, then we vacuum sealed a few packages to freeze for later. The rest will be lunch for the next few days. The cherry definitely added an almost sweet smoke flavor that I look forward to using again. All in all it was a good day....minus a final second field goal miss :)

Before pulling.

The bone fell right out

Mini me enjoying some too

Yummy

vacuum sealed and ready to eat at a later date. I will boil it in the bag before eating.

It may not have been pretty enough to put in a comp box but it was delicious! thanks for looking.

Chris

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->