I bought a Weber Performer at Lowe's for $199

Churrasqueiro Bob

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I lucked out and got the last one in my area, new in box. Assembly was straight forward but the ash catcher ring was a bit of a pain to install. I christened it tonight by cooking some wings seasoned with McCormick Roasted Garlic and Herb seasoning. I cooked indirect using the charcoal holders with Stubb's briquettes. I was quite pleased with the results and I look forward to learning this grill well.

I switched from using gas for the past 20+ year back to charcoal again last June and immediately joined the forum. I got my feet wet with a Weber Go Anywhere that I got from Snap On tools back in the 80's; it is red with wood handles. I quickly bought a Smokey Joe Silver and was hooked. I used the SJS 4-5 times a week all last summer and had a blast. I realized I needed something bigger, so I kept reading here and looking for a good deal on something. My sister gave me a never used 18" OTS with the 3 daisy wheels, circa 1999, which I used throughout the winter alternating with my buddy Smokey Joe. :biggrin1:

I have lusted after the Performer since joining here and reading about it. I saw the deal at Lowe's a month or so ago and was so tempted, but I kept procrastinating and put off the purchase. Then I got scared that they would all be sold since the weather is getting better so I took the plunge. I was lucky to get one nearby as there was only one store in my area that had one in stock.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :biggrin1: I look forward to learning about this grill from my fellow Performer owners and everyone else here at this wonderful site. Thanks to all for your help in the past as I look forward to learning new skills and techniques.

I hope you enjoy your performer as much as I do mine. It is well thought out and functions perfectly. Glad you bought it and you will be too.

I love mine. You will love yours.

I guarantee it.

GeorgeZimmer.jpg

I did a rack of ribs on it tonight. I used the charcoal baskets on each side and the temp was about 320. I know there is a way to do them more indirectly using firebricks etc. Does anyone have a link that gives step by step instructions on how to do a low and slow cook on the kettle? Also any links for good methods to do ribs would be appreciated.

Home Depot in Riverhead, NY has the performer with Gas assist, touch and go, whatever you'd like to call it for $180. Girlfriends mother came home with one for herself yesterday. If i didn't already have one, and 10 other grills, i would have jumped on the deal, list price on the HD site is $329

I did a rack of ribs on it tonight. I used the charcoal baskets on each side and the temp was about 320. I know there is a way to do them more indirectly using firebricks etc. Does anyone have a link that gives step by step instructions on how to do a low and slow cook on the kettle? Also any links for good methods to do ribs would be appreciated.

I generally use one heaping basket off to the side. I'll fill my basket a little more than 1/2 full with unlit coals, then top it off with lit coals & a chunk of wood. Open the top vent all the way, just crack the bottom vent. Takes a few minutes to get down to 225-250*, then you can start opening the bottom vent a hair at a time until your temps stay in that range. If they start to go up, start closing it a hair at a time until it levels off. Once you find that sweet-spot, your Performer will cruise at 225-250* all day by just adding a handful of coals every couple of hours or so. You may have to add another chunk of wood at some point as well. I used a permenant marker to mark notches on my intake, makes it easier to find to that sweet-spot the next time.

Back