• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Buckboard Bacon - variation

jgh1204

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Selma, TX(You better slow down when you hit town)
I think I have mentioned this before, but I have made lots of buckboard bacon and everyone loves it. But, I made some using a pork loin and that is most everyone's favorite.

So, if you are doing buckboard bacon, try it with a porkloin.

www.himtnjerky.com is the site to get your buckboard bacon cure.

I am still waiting for my store to stock it on the shelfs, I email the guys at HiMtnJerky, they contacted the store and they told me the will start stocking this fall. I can not wait till I can make my own, I would like try one with a peper crust, I just love peper bacon.

What else can you use to make buckboard bacon with?

RE: Re: RE: Buckboard Bacon - variation

Tender Quick works fine. Rinse well, soak overnight and add maple syrup on the last 24-36 hours.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Buckboard Bacon - variation

dante6969 said:
Do you still let it cure the full 10 days with the pork loin?

I did last time and too me it seemed a bit salty and nobody else seemed to think so.

I put the cure on Saturday night and I will probably pull them out Sunday AM. It only takes a few 3 or 4 hours to get them to 140.

The taste with porkloin is more like ham.

I have 3 porkloins cut into 6 sections that way about 4lbs each. I will probably pepper 2 of them.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Buckboard Bacon - variation

I went 9 days this time and cooked them tonight. Holy Guacamole Batman, these are good.

Started about 8 and pulled them off just now.

After I took them out of the frig, I rinsed them thoroughly and then soaked for 2 hours.

Is the Hi Mtn. Buckboard Bacon cure only available online? Seems kind of silly to spend 6.50 in shipping for a 3.50 purchase - although I'd love to try the buckboard bacon this winter!

Help me out... I am wholly unfamiliar with the term "buckboard bacon."

What is it, how do you do it, etc? I'll try just about anything once.

Do a search on buckboard, there are several threads.

But basically, it is a cure we get from www.himtnjerky.com

The recipes calls for a boned out boston butt. But, i tried it out on a pork loin and it is great. You put the rub on the meat and referigerate in an airtight container for 10 days. Then you slow cook/smoke until internal hits 140 degrees which is basically Medium Rare. You should fry the bacon but some dont.

WHen fried crisp, the buckboard does more like bacon. Lightly cooked, it tastes more like ham.

The porkloin does come out more like ham and it receives the best comments/reviews from everyone.

As for paying $6.50 for $3.50 worth of product, order 2 boxes. I started this a few months ago and I am on my 4th box already. Their other stuff is pretty good too.

And Judge, try this one and I about guarantee you will do it again.

Just fried up a batch I smoked last weekend. NYDITDG. This stuff just begs to be experimented with. Chipotle, Cayenne, Dried Habs, etc. The short smoking time fits well with the Minnesota weather in the winter too. As Neil suggested to me though, rinse well, very well. My first batch sucked. So dang salty the cats wouldn't eat it.

Kevin said:

Whoop! Whoop! Whoop! Acronym Alert! Acronym Alert!

So... besides the generic ROFL, LMAO, ROFLMAO, etc., we have a Brethren original!

Pretty funny, Kevin... I don't think I've seen that one before!

Back