People's Choice in Oklahoma...

M

Matt_A

Here's a Health Department oddity for you. The HD regulations say that if you charge money (even indirectly) for people TO EAT FOOD, the full force of the HD regulations go into effect. The "cooking area", including your pit or pits MUST have a cover and be screened on all sides, your pass-through for serving must be screened. You must have the triple sink and a hand-washing sink,etc. :tsk:

BUT

If you DO NOT CHARGE for eating the food, NO REGULATIONS APPLY!!!! :wacko:

Non-mandatory donations to a charitable cause are not considered charging for food.

So this leaves me with the People's Choice for Smokin' Up A Storm as a donation only event. If I chose to do it this way, the serving and judging will be done inside a meeting hall and will be blind judging.

Charge for a "tasting kit" not for the food...

Already have the Norman comp on my calendar...

Nordy

Can you charge a small/nominal entry fee to the gate and give them a ticket for peoples choice vote?

I approached it several ways and basically any sort of entry fee or "tasting kit", "judging kit" that involves them having to pay for it in order to taste the q... is "vending" Only voluntary donations gets you out from under the regs. I think I can make it work as a "free" tasting/judging, I will have the full support of the Food Bank for signage & volunteer "docents" to encourage people to give.

There are plenty of contests in OK that do people's choice without any issues. I wouldn't try to re-invent the wheel. Talk to some other organizers who do it and find out what they do. The KCBS website would be a good place to start, or send me a PM and I can give you some contact names/numbers.

1st Annual Smokin'

norman oklahoma...whats the dates? kcbs?

http://smokinupastorm.com

poster_002.png

You should get into contact with the people who put on the Edmond contest this year. The health department was there but only checked on vendors - not teams doing tasters choice.

You should get into contact with the people who put on the Edmond contest this year. The health department was there but only checked on vendors - not teams doing tasters choice.

Different county... our Cleveland County HD Inspector seems to be ultra-paranoid about these things. We had a Culture Jam at the Moore Public Library with food prep demonstrations, outside food vendors and free food in the Green Room for the performers and staff and she went over everything.

Besides, I really want to stay fully within the law so that there can be NO chance the HD will be able to shut us down.

I'll check with them to see how they did it.

Thanks!

With all the folks that are paid to do tail gating in Norman ( and there are several that are business and some are bbq competitors) the laws are simpler than you may think. Go to Norman this weekend and look up some of those owners and ask. Look for a long black enclosed trailer.

With all the folks that are paid to do tail gating in Norman ( and there are several that are business and some are bbq competitors) the laws are simpler than you may think. Go to Norman this weekend and look up some of those owners and ask. Look for a long black enclosed trailer.

Thanks for the response, but I can't drive to OU this weekend, it's a long drive from Bedfprd TX... :eek:)

I agree with David and Mike. These things are done all over the state. Basically people buy a frisbee or a plate from your non profit, and teams give away sample quanities(of pork or brisket you provide).

Aren't Cleveland County food inspections handled by the state?

OKC has their own inspectors. I'm pretty sure Tulsa and Muskogee are the only two counties that do as well. I think the rest are handled by the state.

I agree with David and Mike. These things are done all over the state. Basically people buy a frisbee or a plate from your non profit, and teams give away sample quanities(of pork or brisket you provide).

Aren't Cleveland County food inspections handled by the state?

OKC has their own inspectors. I'm pretty sure Tulsa and Muskogee are the only two counties that do as well. I think the rest are handled by the state.

Cleveland County does have its own inspectors.

I have checked with other organizers in Oklahoma, results still coming in, but I've been asked not to discuss the answers in public.

So, the upshot is: since Cleveland County Health Depot. knows about this; I have to figure out how to make People's Choice work on a voluntary donation basis...

Forget peoples choice, let teams that can pass an HD inspection vend if they'd like to...

Everyone gets free samples. (Donations accepted for supplied eating utensils)

Optionally, people can purchase a judging kit (ticket) for the People's Choice award.

Does that work?

Everyone gets free samples. (Donations accepted for supplied eating utensils)

Optionally, people can purchase a judging kit (ticket) for the People's Choice award.

Does that work?

The sale of a "judging kit" is seen by HD as the same as charging for food, this makes it fall into the vending rules.

I'm working on ideas for a voluntary donation PC.

Back