TROY what a great event. my boxes...

boogiesnap

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
here's my boxes and scores for my 1st sanctioned comp. i did lo'n'slo for pork and hot'n'fast for the rest. unfortunately i started at 7am, waaaay to late, and i couldn't get my cooker above 300. most of the time from 7A to 12P it was 275:mad:. instead of 325-50 i had practiced at. i have reconstructed what i did, and have found my error(s).
even though it was my 1st, this seemed like a super comp this year. AC readily available, water was 2 feet away, security, freindlyness, professionalism, trash removal. all excellent!
ck: 976 988 977 987 887 988(how could a wing not be tender?):redface:
ri: 788 776 766 777 776 765 (these were BAD! i couldn't even eat 1!):doh:
pk: 765 878 768 877 867 888 (this 1 i dunno, i'm guessing bad sauce? uhm the chunks were super duper tender, maybe the MM was mush?):confused:
br: 889 976 887 766 867 877 (13# HH briskie in 3 and a 1/2 hours?):crazy:
anyway, just thought i'd share.
any thoughts?

oh and BTW, anyone who owns a shun. don't hone it without a SHUN steel. look at the MM...had to use a backup knife fro brisket...

Last edited:
those are some good looking boxes, glad you a had a good time, the contest went by in a flash, wish i had time to visit with you

Wow, those are nice boxes. Seems like good scores, especially chicken, for a first sanctioned comp.

I am very careful when sharpening Japanese stainless knives to pay attention to the angle, and polish, on the edge.

thanks steve, we did futz with it a little bit after the pic. not much, but just making the angles proper. i find looking at the box from the OTHER SIDE will show you things you didn't see from the front.

eric, so agreed. 48 hours outdoors seems like it would be an eternity, but goes by in a flash. not even time to travel 50' to talk to another brethren...OR... neither of us wanted to be struck by lightning!

landarc, you are correct, they have a different angle on their edge. it was done by my teammate who should have known better, no harm, no fowl though. with sled's advice she did 4 parsley boxes in 1 hour @ 5AM! so she gets a pass!

landarc, you are correct, they have a different angle on their edge. it was done by my teammate who should have known better, no harm, no fowl though. with sled's advice she did 4 parsley boxes in 1 hour @ 5AM! so she gets a pass!
Great job, nice to see a sled school of parsley graduate, makes me feel proud.:clap2::clap2::clap2:

yeah, it ain't jack stuff, but holy crap she saved my ass!

and while i practiced them she just looked at me and laughed! she had never done a single one!

it never would've happened without your help.

Back